New X70 samples - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: New X70 samples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Vasiluk View Post
No, I was just holding my breath. ) and at some clips I was adding stabilizer in Vegas.
It's a nice camera, I love it. Have filmed 5 projects so far and it's a big improvement from my older camera Sony Z5.
:) Its very tempting. Good luck with it.

BTW, did you come across this post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...-froze-up.html
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
:) Its very tempting. Good luck with it.

BTW, did you come across this post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-pxw...-froze-up.html
Yes, I read that and that's sound scary...hopefully they can find how to fix it.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #18
Trustee

Yes, I hope so too.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Edgar, really great video, just how it should be taken like looking out through a window. Have a look at Amazing planet on you tube for a similar technique. Slow pans, straight cuts and virtually no zooming.

Are you planning to go 4K when available?

Andy
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
Edgar, really great video, just how it should be taken like looking out through a window. Have a look at Amazing planet on you tube for a similar technique. Slow pans, straight cuts and virtually no zooming.

Are you planning to go 4K when available?

Andy
Not in the near future. I do shoot weddings from 2010. So far from more then 100 weddings, only 2 or 3 couples asked for Blu-Ray copy. So, who is going to need Ultra HD? )

Edgar Vs
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Here is another video sample of Sony PXW-X70.

Shooting manually. Colors are edited in Sony Vegas.

Old June 10th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
After all the recent debate about the X70’s stabilization, image detail, autofocus, Clear Image Zoom quality, delayed compatibility with some NLEs, and the disappointing specs/price for the upcoming 4K upgrade, I thought I’d be really crazy and just talk about using the camera.

Here are some excerpts of my nephew at a recent swim meet. I’ve given up on getting a true “log” look from the camera so am going with a semi-flat look.

XAVC-L, 60fps, shutter 125, iris always wide open, gain -3 to +3, manual exposure, manual white balance, 100% autofocus, internal mics, converted to ProRes using EditReady, edited with FCPX. It was all either handheld (worked pretty well) or on a monopod (due to the angle from the stands that did not work well though). This has a fair amount of CI zoom shots.

Here are my “semi-flat” settings: all normal except…
Black Level +15
Gamma: ITU709
Black Gamma: High, +7
Knee (manual) Point 75%, Slope -2 (I’ve decided I like low Point and medium Slope rather than the reverse. You cannot use both Point and Slope at their low settings without problems.)
Color Mode: ITU709
Saturation: -2
Color Phase: +1
Color Depth: still experimenting a bit here, but all were 0 except B +4, Y -3
Color Correction: Type is Color revision, Memory Selection is 1&2, then all other settings are per Paul Anderegg’s suggestions posted earlier in these forums
Detail: I like some sharpness - Level +3, and under Manual Set I have Crispening at 3

Then, in FCPX (but could be done in any advanced NLE) I just adjusted shadows, mids, and highlights then added a touch of further sharpness and upped saturation to the level I wanted. I did add a bit of stabilization on some clips due to handholding at maximum CI zoom. I was very happy with the color and did zero color correction in post.

Swim Meet excerpts 2015 on Vimeo
Hi David, What picture profile did you edit your settings in for your nephews swim meet? As always...... Thanks for the great information! Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Ray - I think I started with PP5, but frankly these settings change so many things that IMO it doesn't really matter what you start with.

I still use those settings but have made a few changes. I don't set the Knee quite so low. Instead of 75% Point I use about 85. And, Saturation and Sharpness are pretty flexible, depending on how much of that you want to do in post. I have since learned that Crispening really controls the point where sharpness of small details kicks in, so higher Crispening actually softens fine details. Since I am going for more in-camera sharpness I now use Level +3 but Crispening at 0. I find this does not add artifacts or look over sharpened, although this is of course personal.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks David.....
As for the PP, I can clearly see your point due to lots of changes. I will give the changes you mentioned a try. Thanks again for posting and testing different scenarios of the PP's of the X70. You're a great asset to this forum. Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds