x70 price drop/new cam coming at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 513
x70 price drop/new cam coming

Sony dropped the price of the x70 300.00 to 1999.00 on BH.
Confirmed what my sony guy told me. Sonys fiscal year was end of March. Any price drops indicate new stuff coming out. Cant wait til nab.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 2,835
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Maybe Item 9 on this list (in the Area 51 section) will become true then!

Some predictions for NAB 2015

;-)
__________________
Andy K Wilkinson - http://www.shootingimage.co.uk
Cambridge (UK) Corporate Video Production
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Space Hipster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,593
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Is this a reaction to JVC's new 4K HM200? Specs wise, these two cameras are close and seem to compete for the same market.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 317
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Is this a reaction to JVC's new 4K HM200? Specs wise, these two cameras are close and seem to compete for the same market.
most likely yes, but the JVC sports a small sensor, while the X70 is twice as big. but the guys at JVC know how to process! if you take the 850 (HD) with that miniscule sensor but giving the cleanest HD today available.
the sensor of the HM200 is the same size of the EX1r but looking at the pictures sure puts the sony to shame.

anyway given the fact that the X70 still has to show 50mbps 4:2:2 10bit (and it probably never will) then the JVC is a serious alternative, because it works.
Anthony Lelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 62
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
anyway given the fact that the X70 still has to show 50mbps 4:2:2 10bit (and it probably never will) then the JVC is a serious alternative, because it works.
Are you saying the X70 does not do 10-bit 4:2:2 @ 50Mbps?? Did I miss something, because that's what I have heard to be true from day 1. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,782
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buckhout View Post
Are you saying the X70 does not do 10-bit 4:2:2 @ 50Mbps?? Did I miss something, because that's what I have heard to be true from day 1. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Not for 4k. It's 8 bit 4:2:0 at 60mbps which is a fairly low bit rate for 4k even with effecient long GOP encoding.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 142
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buckhout View Post
Are you saying the X70 does not do 10-bit 4:2:2 @ 50Mbps?? Did I miss something, because that's what I have heard to be true from day 1. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I wonder if Anthony meant the whole fiasco with editing 50 Mbps XAVC-L footage. If so, I disagree with the statement that we'll never have that (at least I hope so!)
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 62
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Oh yes, for 4K that is true. But Sony never said the specs would be the same, disappointing as that may be.
Mike Buckhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,782
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

I think the x70 is a very good small HD ENG camera.
I suspect the price dropped because they can't cut the price on the 4K upgrade so they made the base price more attractive.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 142
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I think the x70 is a very good small HD ENG camera.
I suspect the price dropped because they can't cut the price on the 4K upgrade so they made the base price more attractive.
And since I will be sticking to HD only, this cam is #1 on my purchase list. I'm eagerly waiting until NAB is over. Primary to see if Sony and/or Apple will fix the Final Cut X XAVC-L issue. But also to see if Canon will have any competing models (I'm thinking more like a next-gen XF100).
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monreal, Quebec,Canada
Posts: 232
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Well I just sold my FS100 which was a wonderful camera that paid for itself many times over and was thinking about picking up an X70 as a partner for my PMW 300. What is odd however is that the price drop is not reflected to any extent in Canada. the BH Price of $1999.00 is much better than Vistek or my local LL Lozeau can do and that would be after paying the taxes and even with our low 80 cent dollar. Shipping is free to Canada now with BH for any purchase over $100.00.
Though it would be nice to have 4:2:2 in 4K this camera seems like a good buy considering the SDI and one inch sensor. But I, like many here will wait for the Sony press conference at NAB before I buy anythng.
__________________
Brian Murphy Director-Editor-DoP
Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
Brian Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 513
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Craig Seeman
X7 will be shown at nab,
ill post pics/specs monday morning
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Diego, Califonia
Posts: 1,331
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lelli View Post
most likely yes, but the JVC sports a small sensor, while the X70 is twice as big. but the guys at JVC know how to process! if you take the 850 (HD) with that miniscule sensor but giving the cleanest HD today available.
the sensor of the HM200 is the same size of the EX1r but looking at the pictures sure puts the sony to shame.

anyway given the fact that the X70 still has to show 50mbps 4:2:2 10bit (and it probably never will) then the JVC is a serious alternative, because it works.
I will have to question these statements. Every HM790 at my station has some degree of split screen brightness variation, and I have yet to find a happy HM850/890 customer. The HM200 doesn't have 3 1/2" CMOS sensors, not even a close comparison. And by the accounts of one HM200 owner, when you reach the high end of the gain, it becomes typical JVC "LowLux" video, horrible snow, greyed out blacks etc. The X70 is pretty clean allt he way to 27db, very usable 30db, and 33db in line with 18db image quality on my X180.

What I DO like about JVC is a lot of their control ergonomics, such as fast easy shutter (slow/fast) manipulation, quick menus and such. The HM200 has what appears to be a fabulous ring/switch control setup, and Zixi live streaming to boot. If it had X70 quality high gain cleanliness, even at half the IQ I would buy one.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 142
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

Strangely, B&H now shows the US price of $1,999 as ending on April 19. List price is at $2,299:

B & H PXW-X70


Sony's site still shows the price drop; list price used to be $2,499, but it's still at the lowered amount of $2,249:

Sony PXW-X70
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #15
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Posts: 3,782
Re: x70 price drop/new cam coming

One of two possibilities on pricing:

The price is going up because all shipping cameras will include 4k activated.
or,
Post NAB, Sony doesn't see any competition coming in this niche and simply are raising the price back up a bit. That would make it a $2800 camera with professional HD but consumer 4K (IMHO), up from $2500 for the same. Perhaps they feel given the lack of motive to pay $500 for a consumer 4K upgrade, they want to make more money from the base model.

The Panasonic HC-X1000 is down to $3148 but there seem to be some complaints about image quality despite higher bit rate 4K.
Panasonic HC-X1000 4K DCI/Ultra HD/Full HD Camcorder HC-X1000K
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network