Stabilizer for AX100 - Sevenoak, Firmcam or Flycam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 6th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Stabilizer for AX100 - Sevenoak, Firmcam or Flycam

Hi everybody,

I am a (very) recent owner of an AX100 (PAL), and am considering to buy a stabilizer (for this camera).

I want something portable, not too invasive, and also not too expensive. Main use will be for private footage, with family and/or friends: not for professional use.

I am considering three models:

a) Sevenoak SK-W02 (Sevenoak 1/4" Screw Video Stabilizer for Nikon Canon Sony DSLR Cameras Camcordes | eBay or

b) Flycam DSLR Nano (Flycam DSLR Nano Steady cam Camera Stabilizer Schwebestativ W Arm Brace for DV | eBay or

C) Firmcam Cobra FC001 (FIRMCAM FLYCAM STABILIZZATORE IMMAGINE CARBONIO PER SONY FDR-AX100E | eBay).

My preference goes for the Sevenoak, because of its compact size. Any advice?

Thanks,
Filippo
Filippo Mulinacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Stabilizer for AX100 - Sevenoak, Firmcam or Flycam

Fillippo, I do not have any steadycam but I did some research a couple of months ago and reading the reviews I remember comments about the sevenoak (or a very similar design) that said the ball connection was not that secure and can come apart causing the camera to fall. I believe the ball just clips into a plastic socket. I think you would be better off with the flycam design, a much more secure fixing for the camera.
Andy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Andy. What you told me is very scary, and making me to seriously reconsider my first choice. I will dig in to find out more about this reported issue.
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you have a limited budget the came h4 also seems like a good alternative (around 250 dollar):
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Noa. The Came H4 seems similar to the Firmcam Gecko. I will have a look at it.
Old April 6th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I had a similar stabiliser to the Sevenoak SK-W02 called the Hague MMC Mini Motion Cam Stabilizer & I can tell you that if you balance it & use it properly it'll be fine for what you need. The handle repeatedly popped off when it got caught in the boot (trunk) of my car, but in use it was absolutely fine & gravity kept it all together - just don't try flying upside down as the handle will detach & you will smash your camera into a million pieces on the ground!!!

Previous to the Hauge MMC I used a GlideCam 2000 which had far better build quality & was technically a far better bit of kit, however the cheaper MMC (like the Sevenoak) is easier to balance correctly, easier to use & if you offered me any of them free of charge I would choose the Hague MMC over the more expensive Glidecam.

FYI & to give you an idea of weight, the Hague MMC was used with a Sony NX70 on top of a manfrotto quick release plate & I had to use the additional weight kit at the bottom.

I have now moved over to using a GoPro & Feiyu Gimbal - far easier & better (just wish the GoPro would give shallow DOF)
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:33 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Paul. I finally decided to go with the Flycam 3000, but will eventually consider the Sevenoak for the GoPro....
Old April 7th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If you're considering a stabilser for a GoPro - I cannot recommend getting a 3 axis gimbal highly enough & especially the Feiyu G4 - well worth the extra investment & it's the future of camera stabilisation!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #9
New Boot

wow, I just saw the Feiyu G4 on their website...it does seem a very high quality product...only issue is price...not really cheap....but of course, you get what you pay for.... :-)
Old April 7th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
it does seem a very high quality product
Not exactly but it's ok for what it does, I have had some issues with the previous version, the g3, which was hard to get smooth movements with, the start up button also broke after a few days. The G4 is a good upgrade but a while back it refused to start up and after a few pushes it woke up. I won't be using it for any critical shots that's for sure but will take it with me on a holiday soon, it's so small and light you hardly feel it's there.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Not exactly but it's ok for what it does, I have had some issues with the previous version, the g3, which was hard to get smooth movements with, the start up button also broke after a few days. The G4 is a good upgrade but a while back it refused to start up and after a few pushes it woke up. I won't be using it for any critical shots that's for sure but will take it with me on a holiday soon, it's so small and light you hardly feel it's there.
oh, interesting...from the video on their website I would have bet the quality was good (it seems very good material)...and also for the price (more than 300 USD) I would have thought it was good quality....
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #12
Major Player

Why not the Nebula 4000?
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #13
New Boot

a bit pricy....699USD.... :-(
Old April 25th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I'd be interested to know if the Nebula 4000 will actually work with a camcorder form factor, like the AX100 or X70 -- i.e. is there room for the back end of the camera to stick out without hitting the frame when it's balanced.

It seems odd to me that all the talk in active gimbals -- at least in the cheaper ones -- is about still cameras. Seems to me that they should cater to people who shoot video on video cameras... :-/
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:47 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Lake View Post
I'd be interested to know if the Nebula 4000 will actually work with a camcorder form factor, like the AX100 or X70 -- i.e. is there room for the back end of the camera to stick out without hitting the frame when it's balanced.

It seems odd to me that all the talk in active gimbals -- at least in the cheaper ones -- is about still cameras. Seems to me that they should cater to people who shoot video on video cameras... :-/
I don't think so. I have a Nebula 4000 and took a look to see if my AX100 would fit - it would not. It does work (great) on mirrorless DSLR cameras.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds