Found a new WA zoom thru for X70 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Found a new WA zoom thru for X70

Robert ~

No that was all shot with two rings, a camera side 62-77mm and an adapter side 77-72mm.

Still waiting on my 62-72mm step up rings to arrive. I think the closer the elements are to the front of the camera lens would mean that you are using less of the edges of the lens and generally most lenses have their best performance towards the center, especially at wider apertures. To be honest though I see no evidence of the images being produced using the two rings to be suffering any detrimental effects. In fact I have used the two rings screwed into the front of a UV filter on the X70 and can't pick the difference. All said and done I really don't expect to see any difference with one ring. I would just prefer to use one ring only to get the elements closer and have less parts involved.

Re the sanding down. You are a long way from the rear element to start with and if you keep your eye on how you are going you will find you are still going to be about 4mm away from the glass when you are finished. If you really worried just get some electricians tape and cut and stick small pieces of tape across the rear element with double thickness at the center point. After removing the tape just use good eye glass cleaner to clean the rear element of the adapter. I use opticians spay on glass cleaner for all my lenses and it works beautifully.

These Canon converters are a good value addition for the X70. I did an interior shoot yesterday and it stayed on the camera the whole day. Client was very happy with the results and that's what counts.

Good luck and shoot on!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #17
New Boot

Looking forward to seeing your results if any when the one step up ring is implemented. Link below is my Sony FDR-AX100 using the WD-H72.

Thanks again Chris!
Robert Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #18
Trustee

Good one Robert. Nice images! Looks like it's working on the AX100 just as well as on the X70. I think you will enjoy using it. I find the extra width very useful indoors.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #19
New Boot

Hello Chris,

Mine too as far as being very useful in tight situations indoors or out at a stellar good deal. I owe you a beer or two. No doubt this lens will help and thanks a bunch for the tip. This video was conducted just to see the distortion level zoomed completely out of some the tallest structures Naples will allow to construct. First thing other shooters ask is how does it the handle straight lines. Zoomed completely in you wouldn't know this WA was attached. Liking that! Plan on using this tomorrow for a Q & A in a tight conference room. Have a good one Chris.
Robert Boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #20
Regular Crew

If anybody is looking for a WD-72 modded for the X70, I have one available. PM Me
Andrew Gough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds