Found a new WA zoom thru for X70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 27th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #1
Trustee

Found a new WA zoom thru for X70

If anyone is interested I have found another 0.8 zoom through wide angle converter that works very well with the X70. This is the third one I have tested and overall it appears to be the best for sharpness, lack of distortion and has less flare under tricky situations. Like a lot of these types of adapters there is no front thread so no screw in filter possibility.

It is the Canon WD-H72 that was originally made for the Canon XL1 'chainsaws' for those that remember them. Again it is a 72mm rear thread with extended rear flange so requires two step rings. The first is from the camera side a 62-77mm step up and the second is 77-72mm step down to the WA adapter. Though saying that the rear extended flange could be machined down a good 2.0mm probably which I think would mean that you would only need one ring. A 62-72mm step up. I shall investigate this possibility as it would mean that the element can move back that small amount towards the lens therefore using more of the adapters sweet spot center.

The Sony VCL-HG0872 0.8 I have been using is very good but I think this Canon WD-H72 0.8 edges the Sony out mainly on barrel distortion and flare. Probably because it has a larger set of elements. The OD on the Sony front end is 96mm. This Canon has an OD of 110mm so quite a difference.

I don't have a 72-72mm extension ring here to test the following but just placing this Canon WA adapter up against the front of a Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS E-mount zoom on the FS700 it looks very much like it would work without vignetting. The Sony WA just vignetted on the 18-105 and was a touch soft on the edges when the lens was fully open at f/4.0. This Canon with its much larger front end looks like it will avoid those issues. I shall grab a 72mm extension ring and find out in the near future.

This one was on eBay from Adorama and was up at $119.00 or offers so made and offer of $100.00 which they accepted. It came with the pouch, two lens caps and the clamp-on lens hood. For 100 bucks and if it works on two different cameras I reckon these Canon WD-H72 lenses represent a pretty fair bargain. Checking them out on BH Photo and I notice they are now listed as discontinued. Original list price was just on $600 I believe.

All in all very happy with the results so far!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_a.jpg   Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_b.jpg  

Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_c.jpg   Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_d.jpg  

Last edited by Christopher Young; April 27th, 2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: more info
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Found a new WA zoom thru for X70

certainly adds some beef to the x70, does the bottom of the lens sit below the QR plate?
Old April 27th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Trustee

I wonder how much it weighs? My 0.8x EXII weighs just a tad over a pound, 482g. My 0.75x EXII is twice as long and weighs about double! I find a pound on the nose is not really noticeable on a 3lb (1.5kg) camera platform.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
certainly adds some beef to the x70, does the bottom of the lens sit below the QR plate?
Yes, without the lens hood on the front of the plate is about 1mm off the desk. With the hood off I have no problem getting it on and off the tripod, just!. On my dear wife's electronic kitchen scales the WD-H72 came in at 812 grams with hood and rings. Most of my corporate work is tripod based so not a big issue. If shooting hand held the extra weight of the lens doesn't bother me much as it's well catered for using a Varizoom LSP-92 shoulder mount that kills the weight / balance problem.

I like the LSP because I'm used to shoulder mount stability having used 2/3" ENG type cams for years. The LSP gives me a good stable platform to work with. I've used it for years with such cameras as Z1, EX1, EX3 and DSLRs. A couple of photos of one of my sons with X70, the Canon WD-H72 and the Varizoom LSP shoulder mount below. Even one showing off with a 'hands free' shot. I'll upload a couple of video clips shot out the back street with the X70 with and without the WD-H72 for anyone interested in having a look. Will post the link to the clips when they are up.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_e.jpg   Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_f.jpg  

Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_g.jpg   Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_h.jpg  

Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72_i.jpg  
Old April 28th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've been using the Fuji 0.8 you tried some time ago and am very happy with ti, how do they compare?
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #6
Trustee

Good question. The Canon and the Sony WA converters are 0.8 whereas the Fuji is a 0.82 so the Canon is a tad wider. Sharpness I really can't pick much difference at all between these two or the Sony VCL-HG0872. There is a small amount of chroma aberration on the Fuji at the extreme edges which the Canon is not showing. With twice the size and weight of the elements in the Canon that doesn't surprise me because the glass has so much more coverage. Moving the camera around in various cross light and against the light situations I feel the Canon has the best flare control of all three and holds contrast better and I think that's partly down to its design as the front element is amazingly concave. Even more so than the Fuji. The Sony is dead flat across the front element. Visually I think the most noticeable thing is that the Fuji has the warmest looking image, which I like, followed by the Sony and quite noticeable is the the cooler look coming through the Canon. I have been quite surprised at the color differences, didn't expect to see that much.

My real aim for this Canon adapter is for the E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS as it is the only one not showing any vignetting on that lens. Just need to get the rear extended flange on the Canon machined down about 1.5-2mm.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old May 3rd, 2015, 05:54 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi Christopher,
did you manage to machine down the extended flange? I found a used converter, but would be curious about some test footage/shots.

Thanks, Toby
Tobias Meinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris,

I found same lens for about 60$ ;-) but it is not in my hands yet.
Not realy clear to me the reason to put two adapter between the WA and the camera istead of a single 62-72 ring:
would you expand a little bit your recommendation?

thanks a lot for that

sauro
Sauro Scroglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Trustee

Tobias, Sauro

Yes I have managed to reduce the flange on the back of the lens. With the flange reduced it will now fit the Sony 18-105 f/4.0 OSS WITHOUT any step rings as that lens has a 72mm filter thread like the adapter. In the end I didn't machine the adapter I used a piece of optical plate glass with some coarse Emery paper and then a fine grade Emery to finish it off to a smooth finish. If you are not familiar with Emery paper just Google it. Buy it at your local hardware or DIY store.

Now that the rear flange has been reduced it should fit the X70 with ONE 62-72mm step up ring. I'm sure this will be the case but at this point I don't currently have a 62-72mm step ring to test with. Previously though this would have been impossible as the rear flange of the Canon extended so far back that its 72mm thread would not engage with the the threads of any sized step ring.

The amount of flange extending beyond the threads of the adapter is now just on 2.6mm. This allows the total depth of the threaded portion of the adapter to fully engage the filter threads on the 18-105mm. As you can see where the adapter is shown fitted to the front of the 18-105mm that there is no thread left exposed. Also this amount of flange left will allow the adapter to screw fully to the bottom of a step ring's thread depth. See the attached pics. Sorry about the quality of the pics outside light was low and no flash, a bit shaky!

If you wish you can download a couple of clips shot with this set-up from here:

Canon WD-H72 static and pan shots
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/mpbmqy

Canon WD-H72 quick zoom shot
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/stoo4b

UPDATE:

Download link to a few shots from the 'History of Steam in Australia' programs. All these clips were shot with the X70 plus the Canon WD-H72.
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/4ka66x

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72-remaining-flange.jpg   Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72-remaining-flange-2.6mm.jpg  

Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-canon-wd-h72-full-thead-engaged-18-105.jpg   Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-wd-h72-fs700-front.jpg  

Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-wd-h72-fs700-side.jpg  

Last edited by Christopher Young; May 4th, 2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Additional info and link
Old May 4th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Chris,

thank you, now I see the point of two rings!
well, I'm afraid the "depth" of a standard adapter is quite shallow so, I'll buy some corundum paper and roll my sleeves up! :-)

sauro
Sauro Scroglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #11
New Boot

Chris,
thanks a lot. Great info. The shots of the X70 with the converter look sharp. Will get one.
Tobias Meinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:14 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauro Scroglieri View Post
I'll buy some corundum paper and roll my sleeves up! :-)
Yes sleeves up. It took me about fifty minutes to get it down to the 2.6mm. 2.5mm would be fine. The next day I was wondering why my hand was a bit stiff. Then remembered that I had been gripping the lens very tightly with its cap on for the best part of an hour the previous day.

Anyway so far very happy with the results for the price. Very good value for around $100 or less, even a bit more. To end up with what is basically the coverage of a 20mm lens in FF DSLR terms for that sort of money is good value.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #13
Trustee

20mm in FF? I am not good at converting things that are not 16:9! :-P

What would my 26mm X180 lens be with my EXII 0.75x converter? :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #14
Trustee

Paul ~

The X180 lens is a 3.7-92.5mm according to Sony. Sony claim that to be a 26-650mm lens in FF comparison. Therefore 26 x 0.75 = 19.5mm, So a 19.5mm lens in full frame according to Sony's figures.

A more precise way of calculating it would be to use the chart below. Good for quick conversions. In the case of the X180 example you take the diagonal dimension of the 1/3" sensor, which is 6mm, and divide it into the diagonal length of the FF sensor, which is 43.3mm. This gives you a crop factor of 7.216. Multiply your lens wide end of 3.7mm by the crop factor of 7.216 and you get 26.699mm as being the true FF equivalent. Now multiply that by your 0.75 wide converter and the true FF equivalent would become 20.024mm. Let's say 20mm :)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Attached Thumbnails
Found a new WA zoom thru for X70-sensor-type-sizes-chart.jpg  
Old May 23rd, 2015, 05:14 AM   #15
New Boot

Hello Chris,
Thank you in advance for your time. Regarding your excellent video "the 'History of Steam in Australia' programs";
- was the WD-H72 flange reduced at that point (with one step up ring 62-72 used) on your PXW-X70?
- was the sweet spot reached in your opinion?

I found the lens on eBay / Adorama and tested your brilliant idea on my FDR-ax100. Have not tried it on my PXW-X70 yet but am expecting the same results.

- Would it be worth my time to reduce the flange to use only with the X70 and Ax100?
- Less distortion if I do?

Just a wee bit spooked to get sand paper that close to the glass. Thanks for your time.
Robert Boni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds