Which setup is better - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old May 15th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Which setup is better

There are also attenuation switches for each audio channel. I like that they are mechanical and not inside of software menus. Makes for quick adjustment in the field.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #17
New Boot

I am leaning towards getting the audio technical 875r but should I spend the extra dough on the At897 to get the phantom power and battery?
Kevin Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #18
Major Player

i have the 897 for my ex1r. its too big for the x70.
get the 875
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 06:42 PM   #19
New Boot

I'll pick up the 875R.

Which windscreen should I get? the auray wss-2012 or the auray wsr-2012? Don't know the difference.

Also anything else that I should go ahead and pick up when I buy the X70? I have a 256 GB card for it and extra batteries already.
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Get 2 Cards for simultaneous recording & ideally different brands/ (or at least different batches if they're the same brands)
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #21
Regular Crew

A 256 card is a lot, if it fails you will be horrified. Don't put all your eggs in one basket! Better with 2x64 or 2x128 cards. If you are only using AVCHD, plenty of space. Sandisk or Transcend

Last edited by Mike Griffiths; May 17th, 2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo!
Mike Griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #22
New Boot

I have been recording in AVCHD with my current camera but if I record in XAVC will 64gb be enough for 60 - 90 minutes of recording?

And which windscreen should I get? The only difference that I see is the db levels. Is there that much difference in filtering out noise? I can understand if I was on the beach where there is always a lot of wind.
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #23
Major Player

You can get 120min.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Which setup is better-pxw-x70-record-times.png  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Depending on your mic, you will need a suitable dead cat, but beware, if the mike is too long and you fit it on the camera, you will see it, I mount my Rode NGT1 on the Rode? SRB5?? the mount that they make, then mount it on a hot shoe. . A 64 GB card will give you 143 minutes on XAVC
Old May 19th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #25
New Boot

Just to chime in here, I own the Sony NX7OU, which I think is the predecessor of the x70. No one talks about the NX7OU. I just picked up the x70 too. Anyway, the nx7 came with the sony mic: ECM-XM1. The mic was great but I wondered if a better mic would give me better quality. I got the Audio Technica AT875R. Granted, I didn't spend a lot and probably got something on-par with the Sony mic that cam with the camera because it didn't sound much better. I also picked up a shockmount to use instead of the built-in mount since a lot of tripod handle noise/vibrations got picked up through the mic. The shockmount definitely helped.

I also got the Rode videomic pro. This, I thought did sound noticeably better. And it has a shockmount built in. You can get a 1/8 to XLR adapter too. It's a very versatile mike. The 1/8th plug allows you to use it with a broad spectum of devices.

Hope this helps.
John Blanker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds