Any recommendations for a STEREO shotgun mic setup for the AX-100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 8th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any recommendations for a STEREO shotgun mic setup for the AX-100?

Must be stereo. And goal is to capture outdoor ambient sound, not anyone speaking on camera.
Derek McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any recommendations for a STEREO shotgun mic setup for the AX-100?

Why do you think you need stereo shotguns for this?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Rode Stereomic X.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Gary, the Rode is a really good mic, but is not shotgun and picks ups any handling of the camcorder as I move around, this was the first mic I tested. I need something more directional that also reflects any handling by the user.

I am torn between:

Sony ECM-680S M/S Stereo Shotgun Microphone $850
and the
Sennheiser MKH418S - M/S Stereo Shotgun $1650

Both of these require phantom power, so an external preamp will need to be added as well.
Is the Sennheiser worth double?

Anyone else have a suggestion for a pro setup? This is for outdoor nature type footage, where the camera might be moved to catch action, so I need mics pointing same as camcorder all the time. Can't use off-camera sound crew situation.
Derek McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Rode Stereomic Pro w/ the AX100 w/ pretty good results. As w/ any camera-mounted mic, a good shock mount is imperative. I had a Sony 680S that I'd occasionally mount on a EX1R. It is an excellent mic - probably overkill to go for the Sennheiser for your purpose - but it is rather long, and if not getting into your shot will likely mess w/ your balance, as you'll also need a Beachtek or equivalent. You might consider a more isolated shock mount with the Rode.
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Trustee

I have a Sony ECM678, sort of like the mono version of the 680. I can tell you it is extremely long.

If you want AMBIENT sound, don't get a shotgun. They do pinpoint isolation well, but they don't have the audio clarity of less directional microphones. Perhaps look into those little stereo 3.5mm jack microphones that are made to be used with mini audio recorders, like for DSLR's?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds