Problem with X70 handling skin tones - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 17th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Problem with X70 handling skin tones

Oh lovely! Isn't it always the way. Will be interested in your findings Tim if you decide to give these settings a run.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I replaced my CanonXF100 with the Sony X70 and still trying to fine tune the picture profiles to find something satisfactory.

I shoot a lot of beach weddings, the majority of which are at sunset, so a lot of times the couple is backlit.

I'm currently using Chris Young's settings:

Default PP4 except for:

Black Level +4 (to de-crush the blacks a bit)
Gamma ITU709
Black Gamma/Range High +7 (further de-crushing)
Knee/Mode/Manual/Manual set Point 87.5, Slope -2 (to pull down highlights a little)
Color Mode ITU709
Saturation +2
Color Phase -3

I usually have my Zebras set at around 70.

Really don't like how the highlights blow out (or posterize) way too easily. Seems like a lot more than my XF100 did.

To get around it, I've been lowering the exposure down to keep some detail in the highlights (and then bringing them backup in post), but then the faces get so dark I can't see them on the LCD during the shoot.

Is there a flatter setting I can use to control the highlights and shadows?
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with X70 handling skin tones-sample-1.jpg   Problem with X70 handling skin tones-sample-2.jpg  

Problem with X70 handling skin tones-sample-3.jpg  
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #18
Major Player

If you're going to be grading a bit in post, you could raise blacks even further, allowing you to underexpose the highlights a bit more but still retain the shadows. Black Level goes all the way to +15, and will give an image with no true blacks - which you can then lower to taste in post. In my experience this does not add noise.

(I also came to the X70 from an XF100 and boy do I miss the waveform and the ability to create a super flat look!)

I was reviewing some old Sony guides and found this interesting chart. For anyone new to this stuff it does a good job of visually explaining Point and Slope. It shows how Slope controls the exposure rolloff of highlights and how lower and higher Point values move the starting point of that rolloff left or right. It also shows that + values for Slope create a more gradual curve - which is different from the X70 manual! The X70 manual says the opposite: minus values are gentler and plus values are steeper. So is that different for the X70 or a mistake in the manual? Regardless, I'm finding that if I raise Slope to +2 or so it allows me to set the Point a lot lower before the weird posterization sets in. This idea may be total garbage, but it's at least another direction to experiment with.

I'll also post the example photos from Sony that show what the custom Knee settings are supposed to be able to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with X70 handling skin tones-screen-shot-2015-07-07-12.14.30-pm.png  
Attached Images

David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds