X70 4k Upgrade - The Install - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #16
Photographer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 154
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Thanks again everyone for your help. Robert hit the nail on the head, I read one digit as an 8 in the serial #, and it was a zero. I just submitted the correction to Sony with the original submission, hope that works. Guess my frustration today should be directed at myself.
__________________
Jim
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #17
Photographer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 154
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

As I suspected, I went through the sony site and registered, got all the way through and it denied me, due to too many activations. It suggested that I get in touch with "the local Sony representative in charge". Not quite sure what that means.
__________________
Jim
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #18
Photographer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 154
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Apparently, when you botch the process like I seem to have, it requires approval from Japan to get another code. They are working on it. Wish I had seen your install clip Atticus, and had my readers on when I entered my serial # :)
__________________
Jim
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posts: 51
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Holy cow... wlell I hope it gets sorted. Best of luck! The upgrade is looking pretty good to me so far.
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

I have registered on the sony website and awaiting my password but who knows when that will come. My product key arrives tommorrow and I don't want to have to wait another few days just to get my registration password much less waiting on the emails from Sony to do the final install. This whole process is obviously spelled out by the higher-ups in Japan - it is so incredibly archaic.

Anyway, has anyone used these instructions - specifically the telephone activation - unless they place you on hold for hours or don't answer the phone it seems pretty straightforward - I like the mention of sending you the emails while you are on the phone with them. You notice that the website route is the very last option for North American customers!!!

Sony | Services and Programs
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 489
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

I could not register on the web site, so sent them an email. I got a call from them the next business day. After verifying a couple of things we hung up and I got an email with my Install Key file within 2 minutes. Copied it to an SD card (which even included some pre-existing clips in the Private folder) and updated.

The North American rebate offer was a bit odd as well, but has now been mailed off. We'll see how long that takes.

I have not had time for much testing, but so far the 4K is good but not overwhelming. I'm sure it will be impressive when I've had time to test more.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Telephone activation was a breeze - went through the menu options as per the Sony instructions and was immediately connected to a rep who took the License Key, serial number of the x79 and my email address and I had the email from Sony within 8 minutes. I'm glad I didn't do the website method as I registered on Friday and still haven't received my password yet.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #23
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 118
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Just about to order the upgrade from B&H........ I tried to fill out the form (link below) that Sony wants included with all the other purchase information.
https://www.merprorebates.com/merlin...promotion=1170
Upon completing the form, I received a "Accept terms and conditions" pop-up stating;

"Please review your date, model number or serial number. One of these items does not meet the rebate promotion requirements or this may be a duplicate entry. Thank you."

I checked and repeated the process with the same end result. In return, I contacted Sony through their 1-800 number. They stated that they received the information and gave me a tracking number. I asked them about having a print out to send in with all my purchase information. The rep stated; No need to send in a print out of the rebate form, just include the tracking number with the original UPC product code label from the box of the license key, copy of the key invoice/receipt and a copy of invoice/receipt of the camcorder.
I'm a little concerned due to Sony stating they want this form included for the rebate (see the following link). Upon reading the terms and conditions, I see that they want the original UPC from the product box as well....... I'm assuming they mean the box that the PXW-X70 came in. I do have mine, but I'm sure others don't. If that's the case and you don't have the original UPC are you SOL? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks, Ray
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...Y10_061515.pdf

Last edited by Ray Paula; July 14th, 2015 at 11:34 AM.
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #24
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 118
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I have registered on the sony website and awaiting my password but who knows when that will come.
Not sure what you mean by receiving a password. Is this the same as the tracking number? Thanks, ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #25
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 118
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
Telephone activation was a breeze - went through the menu options as per the Sony instructions and was immediately connected to a rep who took the License Key, serial number of the x79 and my email address and I had the email from Sony within 8 minutes. I'm glad I didn't do the website method as I registered on Friday and still haven't received my password yet.
So once you go through the telephone activation, you have to wait for a password? Why a password if activated? Thanks, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #26
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 427
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paula View Post
Just about to order the upgrade from B&H........ I tried to fill out the form (link below) that Sony wants included with all the other purchase information.
https://www.merprorebates.com/merlin...promotion=1170
Upon completing the form, I received a "Accept terms and conditions" pop-up stating;

"Please review your date, model number or serial number. One of these items does not meet the rebate promotion requirements or this may be a duplicate entry. Thank you."

I checked and repeated the process with the same end result. In return, I contacted Sony through their 1-800 number. They stated that they received the information and gave me a tracking number. I asked them about having a print out to send in with all my purchase information. The rep stated; No need to send in a print out of the rebate form, just include the tracking number with the original UPC product code label from the box of the license key, copy of the key invoice/receipt and a copy of invoice/receipt of the camcorder.
I'm a little concerned due to Sony stating they want this form included for the rebate (see the following link). Upon reading the terms and conditions, I see that they want the original UPC from the product box as well....... I'm assuming they mean the box that the PXW-X70 came in. I do have mine, but I'm sure others don't. If that's the case and you don't have the original UPC are you SOL? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks, Ray
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...Y10_061515.pdf
I had the same problem with the "not meet the rebate promotion requirements" until I figured they needed the X70 serial number - they everything went through and I printed out the form. Don't you need the order number from B&H before completing the rebate form? You said you hadn't quite ordered the upgrade yet.

The only thing they need the original UPC from is the 4K upgrade box not the X70 box. otherwise just invoices from the 4K upgrade and the original X70 purchase invoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paula View Post
Not sure what you mean by receiving a password. Is this the same as the tracking number? Thanks, ray
The password was for the website registration and activation process which I abandoned after never receiving the password after registering on the website - if you go this route (which I don't advise) you receive a password allowing access to the website and then you complete the activation process after you get the key number in the Sony upgrade box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Paula View Post
So once you go through the telephone activation, you have to wait for a password? Why a password if activated? Thanks, Ray
I was never activated on the website so no password is required. If you call the toll-free number listed in the instructions link from my previous post and use the menu options (I pressed them before they even got through explaining each option) you get connected to a local Sony rep - mine was :
Douglas Bierschenk
Sr. Product Applications Specialist,Product Operations Support Center,Sony Professional Services,
Sony Electronics Inc.,123 West Tryon Avenue,Teaneck, NJ 07666,Tel: 800-883-6817

He took the License Key number, the X70 serial number and my email address - repeated it back to me and I had my activation email with the file to put on the SD card within 6-9 minutes.

Simple process.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #27
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 118
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Thank you Barry...... I will follow what you did once I receive the upgrade from B&H. I sincerely appreciate all your help. Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #28
Photographer
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Allen, Texas
Posts: 154
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

Thank you to the brain trust here, and the patience of Sony's technical people. My X-70 is now 4K and it was pretty anti-clamactic given the drama leading up to it :)
__________________
Jim
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #29
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 60
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

It was a bit of a process getting the installation key from Sony, but I finally have it. I called yesterday afternoon and was told someone would call me back. They didn't so I called again. The guy took my info, but was having trouble. He asked me to email him a picture of my Key so he could make sure we got it correct. Finally after about 45 minutes or so on the phone he figured out that the server in Japan was down because my key was good. He was going to do it this morning, but I guess he didn't come in to work. I finally called again this afternoon and got a guy right away. He took my info again and ran it and sent me the email in less than 10 minutes. Glad that's finally over, now I just have to get home from work and get it installed on the camera.

Hopefully I can get some footage and post it here in a day or so.
Stephen Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 05:38 PM   #30
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 347
Re: X70 4k Upgrade - The Install

FYI, they changed the website since your video. There is no longer a dropdown list for the camera models. You just click on "install key" and then type in your purchase key and follow the links. Got it working but not before some hair pulling trying to follow their logic.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network