DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Need some help understanding Recording Framerates (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/529154-need-some-help-understanding-recording-framerates.html)

Rick Miller July 19th, 2015 12:41 PM

Need some help understanding Recording Framerates

Hello,
A dinosaur here researching cams and looking at the X70. I will be coming from an older tape based HD Cam (FX1). Currently, I just put in a tape and shoot. But upgrading to a newer cam I know I will have to pick different shooting options with the new cam. So, here's the options for the X70:

XAVC-L 50 (I guess pick the best one for all shoots?)
1920 x 1080i: 59.94/50
1920 x 1080p: 59.94/50/29.97/25/23.98
1280 x 720p: 59.94/50

Can users of the X70 provide what you use for different kinds of shoots? I will be editing on Premiere CC, in the U.S. Output will be different, some Blu-Ray, some DVD, and some YouTube. Suggestions for these examples:

1. Regular old interviews, no movement of cam.

2. Sporting events like baseball and soccer.

3. Plays and Dances.

4. Meetings/Seminars.

5. I do not see the framerate options for 4K, will rule of thumb be the same if shooting in 4K?

All the different options confuse me right now, I know I will understand eventually. Just wanna make sure I shoot with correct choices from the get go, thx.

6. Finally, in Premiere, if my footage has different framerate options than other footage that is provided to me, will that cause some problems in editing?

Sorry for the looong post, just gotta learn!

Paul Hardy July 19th, 2015 03:43 PM

Re: Need some help understanding Recording Framerates

Personal opinion only here, YMMV. Also I'm PAL based, so exchange frame rates below into whatever you use.

I only do weddings - & a lot of them, so for me storage space is a premium. I shoot exclusively at 1080/50p AVCHD (27mbps). My timeline in FCPX is 25p This allows me to have a buttery smooth slo-mo at 50%. If you're going to output in BD/DVD, I assume thats with Encore? It does a great job in converting my 25p finished movies into 50i Blu-rays & DVD's. Unless you're going for broadcast, steer clear of generating anything in-camera interlaced, use progressive all the way.

If you're not generating TB's of footage by all means go with XAVC 50mbps, it is noticeably far superior to AVCHD, but I'm basically 'grading' in camera with a custom Picture Profile, so AVCHD 27mbps is good enough for me!

One other thing is that as you're coming from an FX1, the camera layout is sort of similar with the buttons in the same(ish) places + the menu system will make you feel roughly at home. The difference in quality will absolutely blow you away!

4k is only 25p (or NTSC equiv.)

Les Wilson July 19th, 2015 05:17 PM

Re: Need some help understanding Recording Framerates

I've considered your situation and would guide you this way as a starting point. Diverge as you get smarter:

1920x1080 at 60p will do you well. 30p would be fine too. Do a test of fast motion (the subject not the camera) and run it through your workflow to DVD to make sure you are happy with the smoothness motion.

If all you basically do is cut and title over your footage, AVCHD at the highest data rate possible will be fine. But if you do a lot of color correction and SFX, then the 50MBS options will hold up better during edit.