100 mbps 4k x70? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 4th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Mustang. Legend.

100 mbps 4k x70?

Some may know that I did some tests comparing/contrasting the AX100 4K 100 mbps XAVC-S and the X70 4K 60 mbps XAVC-L. These tests were of virtually the same footage shot at the same time and projected in 4K onto a 15-foot screen in a high-end 4K color grading suite here in Los Angeles. In the opinion of two cameramen and two colorists present (one of them the senior colorist), while both cameras looked excellent, the X70 images looked slightly superior. They definitely graded better.

There have been various discussions about why Sony didn't put 100 mbps in their professional camera but did so in the consumer version. Briefly, the two codecs are significantly different and the professional codec performs better.

I just received this word from Sony's X70 product manager regarding possible future 100 mbps in the X70: "We are working on that, but have not clarified whether or not whether it is technically feasible to incorporate 100Mbps. It is different from those of consumer FDR-AX100 and other models."
Jody Eldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: 100 mbps 4k x70?

Thanks for the update Jody.

In my own testing, I can see that 60Mbp/s is quite remarkable. I'll say that it does hold it's own reasonably well. On side by side testing between the X70 and AX100, I can say that 60Mbp/s it will "break" before 100Mbp/s does. However, in 60Mbp/s' defense, I must say that you need to stretch it pretty hard in the shadow or darker tones for it to crack. Yes, it's fairly durable.

Interestingly enough, the luma channel in 60 reveals more blocking than the 100 luma does in the lifted shadows. But it's true, nobody is watching black and white in 4k that has been stretched pretty hard like that.

So yes, 60Mbp/s is OK and it's not stopping me from loving this little X70. I very happy with it today as is.

I tip my hat to Sony for trying to get 100Mbp/s in the PXW-X70 and I hope they are successful. I know they want to and market pressure is out there calling for it. (not to mention pressure form Sony's own cheaper models) I called Sony Teaneck last month to get some more info and they admitted that a "good number" of customers are asking about 100Mbp/s. He had no information for me.

I don't know if this is any help but I would gladly disable all of the WiFi control or IP streaming options. I'd gladly surrender any proxy .mp4 file dual (low res video) recording or even dual card writing to have 100Mbp/s mode to save processing power. A message can pop up that says "X, Y and Z will be disabled" when shooting 100Mbp/s. If I ever needed those back, I could drop back to 60mbp/s at any time.

Thanks again for the update. Let's hope Sony can pull it off!.

I'll keep Cheuk in my prayers. ;-)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Photographer

The X70 continues to amaze me as I use it in a multitude of situations. I'm getting familiar with my FS/7 and eyeing an F-55, but the X70 is always something that I reach for in a time crunch because it just works.

Thanks for your real world analysis, makes me feel even better!
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #4
New Boot

I just updated my new Sony X70 to 4K and noticed that I had the option of 60Mbps or 100Mbps. This is my second X70 and the older one now needs to be updated to 100Mbps but I can't seem to find where to go for this update. I'm assuming it is on the Sony.com site, but darned if I can locate it. Any help?
Buff Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #5
Trustee

I think a lot of people bricked their X70's attempting 3.0, make sure you do it correctly and follow the instructions to the letter.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...el-PXWX70.aspx
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 07:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, firmware 2.0 was required for the 4K update, but firmware 3.0 later added the 100Mps option in 4K.
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds