DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   X70 focus ring + AF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/529331-x70-focus-ring-af.html)

Nathan DuMoulin August 7th, 2015 03:44 AM

X70 focus ring + AF

I currently own a CX900 that's collecting dust, and have been considering upgrading it to the X70. When in AF mode, the CX900 disables the focus ring. Does the X70 do the same, or can the focus be adjusted manually while in AF mode?

Thanks!

Mark Goodsell August 7th, 2015 10:09 AM

Re: X70 focus ring + AF

I just tested it out: In the Manual Mode, but switched to AF, the focus ring has no affect (is that right? Effect ...or Affect?) when moved. So, I guess the answer to your question is 'No' you cannot focus manually with the ring when in the AF mode (like some DSLR lenses allow). Personally, I haven't run into many situations where I would need it, other than if the camera was hunting for Focus. On some larger camcorders there is a dedicated "Push Focus" , or "Spot Focus" button on the lens barrel which I really miss not having on the X70. But you CAN do this by touching the LCD screen where you want it to focus (Manual Focus mode only). I've used that feature from time to time. Works fine if the environment is crappy and the camera is 'hunting', but you have to be careful not to wiggle the camera in doing it. The other option would be to stay in the Manual Focus mode and set an assign button for Spot Focus to get your initial focus, then adjust the ring as needed. I haven't tried that but it does list Spot Focus as an assign button option. I assume all of this is how your CX900 operates now, correct?

Why are you thinking of upgrading to the X70 (4k??) if I can ask?

Nathan DuMoulin August 7th, 2015 11:30 AM

Thanks a ton for the information Mark.

I was thinking of upgrading to the X70 to get 10bit 4:2:2 via SDI out. The CX900 doesn't meet broadcast spec at 8bit 4:2:0, and HDMI is just too flimsy for comfort. I typically use higher end interchangeable lens cameras for content creation (hence why my CX900 has been collecting dust), however occasional I need servo zoom, and this range of Sony cameras is the only medium sensor camera that has a servo controllable via LANC.

Thanks again.

Mark Goodsell August 7th, 2015 04:44 PM

You're welcome.

Quote:

I was thinking of upgrading to the X70 to get 10bit 4:2:2 via SDI out.
That's why I went for the X70 too.

Paul Anderegg August 7th, 2015 08:41 PM

The picture adjustment controls (especially gamma and black stretch) make the X70 a completely different animal. You can toggle these adjustments off in the X70 to see a CX900 image, and the difference especially in dim lighting is SIGNIFICANT.

Paul

Andy Wason August 10th, 2015 10:25 AM

Nathan you can't adjust focus with the ring while in AF, but by pushing the AF/MF button on the lens barrel it's easy to switch between auto and manual focus.
Andy