Stuck pixel on PXW-X70 LCD OK with Sony? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Stuck pixel on PXW-X70 LCD OK with Sony?

From the User Manual Page 2

"The LCD screen is manufactured using extremely high-precision technology, so over 99.99% of the pixels are operational for effective use. However, there may be some tiny black points and/or bright points (white, red, blue, or green in color) that appear constantly on the LCD screen. These points are normal results of the manufacturing process and do not affect the recording in any way."
Attached Thumbnails
Stuck pixel on PXW-X70 LCD OK with Sony?-pxwx70badpixel-copy.jpg  
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Stuck pixel on PXW-X70 LCD OK with Sony?

BTW I'm noticing that this issue develops over time. When I first turn on the camera, the LCD is clean. It takes about 5 minutes before the stuck pixel appears.

I'm concerned because it could well be a failure over time issue that will progress over time while the camera ages.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not sure what you're asking here. As outlined in the manual (or any guide for LCD and other digital panels), dead pixels can indeed occur.

In my 5-year old Pioneer plasma, it has a solid green pixel now showing up. But only when the picture signal is a certain level. It's still within the tolerance of being acceptable by the manufacturer's specs.

If the quantity of dead pixels should go beyond what manufacturer's allow, then definitely take it in for service.
Ricky Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What I noted was pixel was growing over time. Whenever camera was turned on there were no stuck pixels. So this wasn't the typical stuck pixel issue.

I called Sony and they said call the dealer I bought it from and, if they wouldn't exchange it, Sony would accept it and repair it. Dealer asked me to bring it in. After watching the LCD for 10 minutes they said they've never seen anything quite like that before.

They exchanged the unit and allowed me to check it before I left. Tested for 15 minutes and no dead pixels.
Props to Sony support for not sticking to the manual's explanation.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds