DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   X-70 EXEC Button P.I.A. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/529387-x-70-exec-button-p-i.html)

Ray Paula August 12th, 2015 08:30 AM

X-70 EXEC Button P.I.A.

I really love my X-70 with the exception of the EXEC button. I certainly cannot use it to scroll with my thumb while my hand is in the strap. This is minor compared to using the button itself...... Arrowing in one position or another along with scrolling is a major P.I.A. for me. It takes several attempts to position what I want in the menu. I have to press on the very edge of the button in order to get it to move where I want, which takes several attempts without it moving in another direction. In my opinion, it's way to sensitive.... Are others having this issue? If so, what's your solution? Thanks, Ray

Roland Achini August 12th, 2015 09:08 AM

Re: X-70 EXEC Button P.I.A.

You are completely right. I have to set the camera on a table to use the EXEC toggle button. It's a shame.

David Dixon August 12th, 2015 09:39 AM

For me, the button is at a very awkward angle. I really have to stretch back my thumb to hit it. And, once there it's far too easy to *press* the button when you mean to just *move* it left/right/up/down. That being said, I've had the camera since Dec. 1, so I've adjusted to it. I just have to make sure I press the side of the thing rather than one of the corners.

Ray Paula August 12th, 2015 04:59 PM

Sitting it on a table and/or on my lap is the only way I can use it. Going through the menu on the fly is totally out of the picture. I sincerely doubt that this can be fixed by an update due to it being mechanical. It took me a good 15 minutes to setup my SD card order...... Thanks for listening to me whine, but for good reason. Ray

Craig Seeman August 12th, 2015 05:22 PM

My only issue is it's a been sensitive. I can access it with my hand strap hand when I'm supporting the camera with my other hand.

Bob Searl August 12th, 2015 05:56 PM

I guess that I am in the minority here... I much prefer it to one of those round four-way rocker things. I tend keep my thumb either on it or reasonably close to it. When my thumb is on it I already have moderate pressure applied. So, when I want to use it as a joystick, it is quite easy for me to simply nudge my thumb on way or the other. I don't use the "edge" of my thumb at all, since the pad of my thumb is very positively or solidly in contact with the joystick. This makes the movement of my thumb easily transfer my "directional intent" to the joystick.

Paul Anderegg August 12th, 2015 11:30 PM

I love the PIA, I mean EXEC button! On my X180/X200, I have to reach my free hand across the LCD to manipulate the hard to feel buttons on top when the LCD flips down. I cannot for the life of me get used to the wheel button thing on the side of these cameras. JVC's have the best menu controls, a menu button and a giant round 4 way button, very simple to use.

I typically have the handle, mic,a nd an LED light on my X70, so I think I keep part of my palm slightly under the button, which might make my thumb find the PIA button easier.

Paul

Stephen Robinson August 14th, 2015 08:32 AM

I can operate it just fine, but it is in an awkward location. If it was where the HDMI port is, it would be much more ergonomically located and easier to operate. I wish the Menu button was located near the EXEC button, as it takes two hand operation to get into the menu and use it.

Ray Paula August 14th, 2015 09:51 AM

Hopefully, I will find a way to use the EXEC button with ease as most of you have. Thanks, Ray

Ricky Sharp August 14th, 2015 05:32 PM

I find that I end up selecting something prematurely. So as with some, I typically just set the cam down and use the rocker switch with hand out of the grip.

Thankfully I don't find the need to use that rocker often, so not a huge deal.

Probably has something to do with the size and/or flexibility of our hands/fingers.

Mark Goodsell August 17th, 2015 10:11 AM

I have to twist my hand a little to use it too, but I agree with Stephen that it would be nice if the menu button were near the joystick. But then people would be complaining that it was too easy to hit the menu button by mistake. I think they could have gotten away with a mini HDMI jack and put the HDMI port in a different location to conserve more room. I think by now, most people have mini-HDMI cables from other devices. I personally prefer the LCD menu navigation system the Canon XA-series camcorders use, and with LCD navigation you can have pre-menus for simple things like setting white balance and audio w/o having to go into the main menu (which isn't convenient at all). But the action of the X70's joystick is pretty fool-proof. Sony probably would have went with LCD navigation were it not targeted towards "professional" users, who would probably revolt. The simplest and easiest to use system I ever used was on my old VX2000/PD150 camera with the wheel right on the back bottom of the camcorder where it was easy to find.

Ray Paula August 20th, 2015 04:50 PM

Still trying to navigate with my P.I.A. Exec button........ It takes me at least 5 to 8 tries before I can get to the menu function I want. I'm glad I don't use this camera for a living.... It would in all likelihood have to go. Thanks for letting me whine.......LOL. Ray