Anyone Transfer X70 Clips to External HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 24th, 2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone Transfer X70 Clips to External HD?

Hi,
I'd like to backup my x70 video off my 64g SDXC cards on a couple of external hard drives at the end of the day. I believe all I would need to do is open the SDXC card from my SDXC card reader and open the Private-XDROOT-Clip folders and drag and drop the clips from there. In addition, I see there is a MXF file and a MO1 document for each clip. I don't understand what the MO1 doc is for? Would I need to download both? I'd like to know the proper process without losing any video. Also, I haven't installed Catalyst Browse yet due to moving up to an iMac in the very near future. Any help/information would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks, Ray
Ray Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Contributor

Re: Anyone Transfer X70 Clips to External HD?

As a rule of thumb always copy the entire file structure - generally under the "PRIVATE" directory on a Sony camera. Many NLE's use the metadata in this file structure to correctly interpret clips, concatenate long files etc (although that is not necessary in XAVC). It's also easier than drilling down into sub folders.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply.... Are you basically saying to copy all the Private sub folders? I'm shooting in both XAVC and 4K. Thanks again, Ray
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I edit with Vegas, so I find it unnecessary to copy anything other than the clips themselves. I rename the clips, then drag and drop into a folder onto two hard drives for backup. You are talking Apple, so what Ray has told you is correct.
Old August 25th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I edit with Avid Media Composer 8.4 and proceed the same way as Jeff does (copy Clips only).
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #6
Contributor

I too edit with AMC and AMA relies on structure with many camera card formats. It may "work" but will it continue to work with future versions? What have you gained by only copying the clip folder? Probably less than a megabyte.
Other formats like XDCAM rely on that file structure. Eg if you don't copy the entire BPAV folder you cannot link correctly in AMC.
The point is don't get into bad habits. The surrounding file structure takes up very little space and contains important metadata.
It also has no bearing whether you are on a PC or Mac. Yes copy everything under the PRIVATE directory.
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Inner Circle

John, I edit a wedding, and delete all files after two weeks and have been doing so for years. For some theorectical future use the file structure could be necessary, but I am dealing in the here and now.

Besides, I rename all clips on the card before transferring to my hard drive, so the metadata would likely be useless anyway. I do this because when I'm dealing with four cameras the logical thing is to rename the clips on the card to avoid confusion with other cams, it's just a logical workflow for me.

For Sony to begin requiring the metadata so one can edit it would truly be a sad day. Vegas may not be a perfect program, but for ease of use and simplicity it still delivers for me.
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I never rename clips on the card but transfer them into a temporary folder on the PC and rename them there. I hesitate to edit my card using my PC.
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

It's interesting how we all have our own way of doing things, our own ideas?

Roland, I have been renaming on the card since my first Panasonic GH1 probably fifty or a hundred weddings ago. It never occurred to me that it could cause a problem.

But I definitely see your point, but knock on wood so far I've had no issues. Now you've got me paranoid! :-)
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm assuming to be safe..... I should download all my sub folders from the Private one. My habit for renaming clips has always been downloading them to a couple hard drives. May be overboard, but I feel safe not corrupting anything.
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
John, I edit a wedding, and delete all files after two weeks and have been doing so for years. For some theorectical future use the file structure could be necessary, but I am dealing in the here and now.
Well you're lucky - I have to keep media for years in case clients want changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Besides, I rename all clips on the card before transferring to my hard drive, so the metadata would likely be useless anyway. I do this because when I'm dealing with four cameras the logical thing is to rename the clips on the card to avoid confusion with other cams, it's just a logical workflow for me.
All good Jeff and from the sounds of it your method works for you. However I was pointing out to the OP what a standard industry workflow is. If you own any of the Sony cameras that split files into 2GB chunks (Any of the EX series cameras, XDCAM HD cameras and a bunch of others including the JVC HM700) then the files will not automatically be joined into a single master clip if you don't retain the file structure. Plus you'd have to drill down into multiple sub directories just to access the individual clips which just doesn't make sense when most NLE's can read all the clips from the master BPAV folder.

You may also be missing out on important metadata like colorspace settings etc.

If you go on the Avid forums you'll see thousands of posts of people who've had big problems AMA linking after receiving renamed files or incomplete file structures - which is another reason I advise against it.

I too deal with 4 cameras all the time and my method is to put the cameras into different named folders. If I want to rename actual clips I can do that inside Premiere or Avid but I find it unnecessary in a multicam environment. That's just me of course. YMMV.
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just noticed this thread as I had my first experience in my clips being divvied up into 2GB chunks. I bought my X70 a couple of months ago and up until now had been shooting short segments that didn't hit the 2GB threshold. I called up Premiere Pro and placed two of these clips on a time line and at the break, the video seems OK, but there is an audible drop in the audio between them. It recovers quickly but it's still noticeable. What is the fix for this? There's gotta be a way to splice them. BTW, I'm using Premiere CC 2015.

Thanks in advance! I love this camera and would hate the notion that I made a bad purchase if I want to shoot long programs! Even my ("trusty old") GH2 will shoot as long as I have battery and media! P.S. If there is another thread that addresses this, please point me there.
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!

Last edited by Terry Wall; November 15th, 2015 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added more copy
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #13
Contributor

Shoot in XAVC and the camera doesn't split it into 2GB chunks. You'll need a minimum of SDXC card to do that and a decent speed card. It is much better quality than the AVCHD video. A word of warning though - do not run out of battery in this mode. The file won't close properly and you're in for a massive headache.

With AVCHD if you keep your folder structure intact Premiere should read it as a single file not multiple chunks as soon as you access the AVCHD folder.
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi, John! Unfortunately, I kept the files together when I imported them, but alas, they were broken up into "bite sized" chunks. Even with Premiere. I've surfed around and see that Sony might have software that keeps the clips from breaking up, when being imported onto a computer. Any feedback on that? Something called "PlayMemories?"

Thanks again!
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #15
Contributor

What version of PP are you using? I don't use AVCHD on my X70 but from my FS700, PPCC seems to keep the files together for me provided I keep my AVCHD folder structure intact.

Your only other option may be to export a file from Catalyst Browse or the old Sony Content Browser if that doesn't work..
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds