DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   manual settings on 70 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/529555-manual-settings-70-a.html)

Jim Stamos August 30th, 2015 12:17 PM

manual settings on 70

im shooting with the ex1r, strongly considering this camera.
i shoot totally manual. how good is setting the white balance on this camera? does it do a good job of
getting it right?
also, to the eye is the difference is quality marginal or obvious between the xavc at 50 vs the avchd on the 70. i have avchd on my smaller sony cam and it looks very good. wondering if the 70 will be pretty much the same or obvious upgrade qualty wise to justify the 2k.
thx

Christopher Young September 1st, 2015 09:06 AM

Re: manual settings on 70

These downloads have been up for a while now but this first example is all 100% manual inc white balance. Doing a manual WB is a bit of a pain as you have to call up a menu to do it but it does get it right. Regards driving the camera manually it's fine once you get to know how to drive it. Visually I can see the an improvement in the XAVC 50-mbit 422 over the AVCHD material.

XDCam PXW-X70 50p @ 100th - CYV Modified PP4 color-exposure-latitude demo 19.10.14.mp4
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/t9yiwl

This second one is all 100% auto everything inc WB. In this case I gave the camera to the journo I was working with to get some B roll. Generally the auto WB seems pretty good. I do recall one time though indoors in mixed light where it couldn't make up its mind so went manual.

X70 50i Avchd 24-mbit-full auto-modified PP4-in the hands of a journo no less.mp4
https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/7m4ikj

Overall a very good little HD camera that punches above its weight for the money.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Craig Seeman September 1st, 2015 12:00 PM

I've added WB Set to the Assign Button 3 next to White Bal so I don't have to go into the menu.

I sold my EX1 a few months back and got the X70 recently. Overall I'm very happy with it and do really feel it's an upgrade in most respects.

Christopher Young September 2nd, 2015 06:46 AM

Now that's what I call half intelligent Craig!

How did I miss that you can 'WB Se't to an assign button? I've now assigned it to #6 as I've never used that one. For me #1 is touch focus, #2 is peaking, #3 is zebra, #4 is AE shift and #5 is steadyshot. All seems to work well especially knowing it's now a one button push for WB. Again thanks for the heads up Craig.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Paul Anderegg September 8th, 2015 06:25 PM

I've never been happy with a push to white on my X70. If I ever do push to white, it is simply to get the kelvin, which I then input into manual white balance and select that instead. The X70 has enough uncorrectable colors that anything not whited off pure halogen could beg for a magenta or green hue.

Paul

Peter Lowe March 7th, 2017 04:27 PM

Sounds like a great idea to "push to white" to get a kelvin reading then enter it as a manual setting to avoid grading headaches - just not sure how to do this?

Does "push to white" mean pushing the X70's WB button to select the camera´s Auto WB setting or something completely different? If it does mean this - would like to ask how do you figure out the Kelvin reading the Auto WB has chosen, since when I push the Auto WB button all that happens is the WB goes to Auto but no display of the Kelvin reading appears?

Paul Anderegg March 7th, 2017 04:36 PM

Push to white would be when you press the WB SET button while on A or B settings. The reason I like manual white balance, is that it gives me a consistent color profile across all my clips to work with. You'd probably want to grade a little bit, but on the X70 and Z150, you don't have to zoom in on a white surface, you can PUSH TO WHITE at any time, wide angle, colorful scenery etc, and you will get basically the same WB as you get in AWB, but it will hold that and wont drift. You might be well off to push to white wide angle on a scene slightly changing your view until you are happy with how the colors look.

Paul

Peter Lowe March 7th, 2017 06:43 PM

Thanks Paul for the clarification on this very good suggestion. I have assigned WB set to the front button (6) formerly assigned to d.extender and it works great - difference is like (excuse the pun) day and night :-)

I also appreciate your reply to my question about which color profile works best for what and look forwards to finding more about this in previous posts.

Btw do you know "Andeæg" means duck's egg in Danish?

Enjoy your evening

Peter

Paul Anderegg March 7th, 2017 06:55 PM

Good suggestion on pushing to white without zooming in on a white object?

Should also mention, the X70 Z150 series only perform BLACK BALANCE when you push to white.

QUACK! :-D

Paul

Peter Lowe March 7th, 2017 07:09 PM

in this respect you are far ahead of me :-)

so far I stick to either pushing to white with my old piece of white cardboard or pushing to white auto balance and choosing whichever one I like best & am quite content that neither option gives me the dreadful red faces I got before by manually setting the white balance at 5600K and hoping for the best.

but now you mention it...

Paul Anderegg March 7th, 2017 07:15 PM

I shoot news, at night, with mixed lighting, so for me, retaining a single manual white balance an color profile, allows me a speedy method to apply a corrective filter to my entire timeline, and it will look consistent. Try white balancing on mixed lighting at night 100 feet away from a target with flashing red, blue, and yellow lights :-D

Paul

Lou Bruno May 4th, 2017 06:57 PM

Been using #6 as the WB Set since purchasing the camera. It is the best button to assign this function as I just reach with my index finger and press the WB set button. Using #3 requires opening the screen plus the loss of easy adjusting the PP. Of course, it is a matter of what the user is comfortable with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1896821)
Now that's what I call half intelligent Craig!

How did I miss that you can 'WB Se't to an assign button? I've now assigned it to #6 as I've never used that one. For me #1 is touch focus, #2 is peaking, #3 is zebra, #4 is AE shift and #5 is steadyshot. All seems to work well especially knowing it's now a one button push for WB. Again thanks for the heads up Craig.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney