DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Import issues - the oddest thing!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/529729-import-issues-oddest-thing.html)

Paul Hardy September 13th, 2015 03:11 AM

Import issues - the oddest thing!!!

Cameras - 2 x X70 v2 / 1 x NX70
All set to AVCHD PS 1080p/50
FCPX 10.2.2

I filmed a wedding on friday on 2 cameras, got home & imported the footage into FCPX no problem at all.

Saturday morning I formatted the cards & filmed another wedding, however the clips from the X70's don't show up at all in FCPX - the import clip window is empty & it says underneath 'searching for additional media', the NX70 clips import as normal.

The strange thing is that this is from 2 different X70's, so it's not a card issue, but as the NX70 clips from friday are fine, it must be a sudden camera compatibility issue? I've re-installed FCPX & tried a different OSX user & still have the issue, so if anyone has any ideas, please please let me know!!

As a short term solution I have a laptop with FCPX 10.2.1 & El Capitain GM & got the clips imported on that!

edit: formatted another card & have produced some new test clips - they import fine! I really don't get it :-(

Craig Seeman September 13th, 2015 01:49 PM

Re: Import issues - the oddest thing!!!

I've seen some occasional odd behavior when trying to import directly from SD cards from the X70. Try creating a Camera Archive first and importing the clips from that instead.

David Dixon September 13th, 2015 09:00 PM

When you say you reformatted the cards, I assume you mean reformatted by the camera, not by computer...

Paul Hardy September 13th, 2015 11:17 PM

Yes always in the camera.

Mike Buckhout September 14th, 2015 08:01 AM

That is odd. I always copy the clips from the card into a new folder on my computer (using the Finder in OS X) and then add them to my PPro project. No issues so far.

Paul Hardy September 14th, 2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Buckhout (Post 1898082)
That is odd. I always copy the clips from the card into a new folder on my computer (using the Finder in OS X) and then add them to my PPro project. No issues so far.

Yes I always do that as well, I copied all 3 cards over to my mac first & batch imported into FCPX - thats when I first noticed the issue. FCPX wouldn't see the clips on either of the X70's cards so I then tried importing directly from the SD cards & had the same problem there too, FCPX just wouldn't see the clips.

During my troubleshooting period, they imported straight into Premiere CC with no issues at all, Clipwrap also had no issues with the cards either - just FCPX.

Mike Buckhout September 14th, 2015 10:32 AM

Have you done the 4K upgrade? I recall something about an issue with importing clips where the card had not been reformatted prior to recording, can't think of all the details about that though.

Craig Seeman September 14th, 2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Hardy (Post 1898088)
Yes I always do that as well, I copied all 3 cards over to my mac first & batch imported into FCPX - thats when I first noticed the issue. FCPX wouldn't see the clips on either of the X70's cards so I then tried importing directly from the SD cards & had the same problem there too, FCPX just wouldn't see the clips.

During my troubleshooting period, they imported straight into Premiere CC with no issues at all, Clipwrap also had no issues with the cards either - just FCPX.

Again did you try creating Camera Archive. I've seen issues both from cards and from hand copied files. FCPX likes it's own metadata it creates when making Camera Archive best.

Paul Hardy September 14th, 2015 10:42 PM

Sussed it - (but it begs another question) For some reason the X70's had put XDROOT folders on the cards & as we all know that can cause issues with FCPX 10.2.2 (no problem in 10.2.1). Why exactly, I don't know - I haven't used XAVC for months & months also why would it do this on 2 different cameras.

Anyway so (if anyone cares)...
9th Sept, formatted 4x SD cards, in 2 different cameras set to AVCHD, all were given both AVCHD & XAVC folder structures.
10th Sept, formatted 2 x SD cards, in those 2 same cameras, both were correctly given AVCHD folder structures only.

I've no idea why would 2 cameras have the same glitch on the same day?

Anyway I'm putting this one down to 'one of those things' & moving on with my life - the wedding's now edited & if it happens again I'll know what to do. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions & help!!