Picture Profile - Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 27th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Picture Profile - Help

So I have looked on this forum and have found many custom picture profiles that I can use, but not sure which ones are the best or which ones are finalized. I am looking for 2 picture profiles, so I hope someone can help or direct me to a final version.

1) A picture profile that is flat and best for color grading?

AND

2) A picture profile that is best for delivering a DVD on site as is?

All help is very appreciated, thanks in advance!
Brian Terrinoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Picture Profile - Help

The camera does not have a Log option so cannot shoot *super* flat, but here’s about the closest you can come. This is definitely flatter than turning off the Picture Profiles. Just take any PP that you don’t plan to use, and make these changes:

Black Level: +15 (Maximum black lift the camera will do)
Gamma: Rec709 (you’d think the Cine options would be flatter, but no)
Black Gamma: High, +7 (again, maximum black lift)
Knee: This is the trickiest part. This used Manual with Point at 75% and Slope at 0 - I’m still tweaking this, but you cannot use both a low Point and a minus Slope. I’m still trying out + values on Slope, which seems counterintuitive but seems to help.
Color Mode: ITU709
Saturation: 0, but this could be lowered if desired
Color Phase: +1 (but I’m still tweaking - +2 might be better)
Color Revision: I use all the custom settings Paul Anderegg posted here months ago for Rec709. Let me know if you can’t find them and I’ll repost.
Detail (and Crispening): 0

I leave everything else at stock settings. I do manually white balance, and try to make sure nothing of any consequence subject-wise is above 100 on the Histogram, which I leave on all the time.

This also shows the shallow DOF possible even on a sunny day with the 1 inch sensor: lens is wide open (required using 0 or -3 Gain and ND1 or 2 to do so), 60p, 125 Iris, about 15 feet from subjects, zoomed in quite a bit, trees and soccer net in background are pretty far away. This was handheld (active stabilization), 1080p, was just a still frame exported from FCPX then resized to half size. Obviously the right part of the frame is the ungraded out-of-camera look, with the left part after simple grading in FCPX to get a more saturated, warm, sunny look.

I don't really see many others shooting flat like this with the X70, so if you figure out better settings than these please pass the findings along! Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profile - Help-x70flat.jpg  
David Dixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds