First gig with the x70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 1st, 2015, 11:43 AM   #1
New Boot

First gig with the x70

I bought this camera in anticipation of a gig that eventually fell though. So last weekend was my first time using it!

I found 2 things that were baffling to me: (more to come im sure)

The 3 buttons on the side for aperture, gain, and shutter speed. There's no "hold" mode? In other words, my aperture and shutter speeds were set. No need to adjust them for this gig. But I did need to adjust the gain throughout. So, the gain was highlighted on the camera. If I made the mistake and hit the button again, auto mode would kick in and make the screen super bright. If I left it on manual (highlighted) then I run the risk of accidentally hitting the small knob and screwing up the shot. This seems really tricky.

I also had a lot of focus hunting going on. I filmed a Chorus show. I had focus on auto with face detection on. Naturally, there were boxes all over the chorus members faces. I used the arrow buttons to select the priority face (double box), and pressed enter on the little joystick but it didn't stick. The orange box kept floating to different faces.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
John Blanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: First gig with the x70

No hold mode that I know of. I found that with time adjusting by feel gets more intuitive. In fact, I've read a few folks commenting that due to the dial's small size and placement it was *difficult* to find and adjust on the fly. In months with the camera I've never accidentally changed it. I think you'll get used to this soon.

Autofocus is another matter. I love the camera, but AF is pretty good but not amazing. It's not a frequent problem, but at times it's just oddly slow to lock on, especially if the subject doesn't fill a large part of the center of the frame. OTOH there have been times when someone walked thru the frame in front of my subject and I was glad that the AF ignored it :-)

And I'm sure it's me, but I've had little luck using face detection. Maybe I need to study it and practice more.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:35 AM   #3
Trustee

If the BUTTON is in AUTO, and you hit it again changing to MANUAL, it will HOLD or stop at whatever value it was adjusting at that moment.

The SAFEST thing for you to do is HIGHLIGHT iris as your default, as accidentally touching the iris wouldn't be noticeable unless you did some massive rotations of the little wheel!

I find the three button setup infuriating at times, but the best thing about it is it allows you to bump gain 3db up and and down at will. If the damn little camera had an iris ring, it would be 10x more usable!!!!!!!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The easiest way for me to control my exposure is to lock the shutter, as that should never change during a recording and then highlight the iso and aperture, when you then turn the little wheel on the camera the camera first opens up the iris and once that is wide open it will start to increase the gain, same applies if you go the other way round it will keep the iris wide open as long as there is gain added and once there is no gain applied it will start to close the iris.

I see no need in locking the aperture, unless I want to achieve and hold some shallow dof but 99% of my shot's shallow dof doesn't even come into play because I have front to back sharpness.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, except that on the X70 you can't highlight both the Gain and Iris, and once the Iris goes to 2.8 continuing to turn the adjustment wheel won't start changing the Gain or anything else.

I usually do lock both Shutter and Iris (as I almost always have a desired DOF in mind) and just use the Gain and (on the X70) the ND filters to adjust from there.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 07:49 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks guys, this helps. I have seen where adjusting the iris does change the gain if the gain is set to auto and your adjusting the iris manually. Might have to go into the menus and change some settings.

I had the NX7OU before this and that camera had had this strange bug: If the gain was on auto and you were adjusting the iris, it would not wait for the iris to be completely open before raising the gain.

I'm guessing this has been fixed on this camera. I will experiment.
John Blanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Ah, yes - I have the Gain limited, so that keeps it from going higher even if Gain is set to auto.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Well, except that on the X70 you can't highlight both the Gain and Iris
That's weird, I was referring to my ax100 which I expected to have the same functionality to adjust these settings, looks like typically Sony to make changes between models that make no sense.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds