DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Shotgun Mic for AX100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/530029-shotgun-mic-ax100.html)

Phil Stanley October 14th, 2015 01:50 AM

Shotgun Mic for AX100

Has anyone any experience with the Sony branded shotgun mic's on the AX100, if so which model?

My understanding is that you do not need to be connected using the mic input as it works through the hotshot is this correct?

Donald McPherson October 14th, 2015 11:13 AM

Re: Shotgun Mic for AX100

I think you are thinking of Sony's radio mic.

Matt Sharp October 14th, 2015 12:44 PM

Sony has two multi-interface mics, the ECM-XYST1M and ECM-GZ1M. These are consumer level mics and the quality is probably not great. There is also the XLR adapters XLR-K1M and XLR-K2M that come with the ECM-XM1 but of course allow you to attach any XLR mic.

I think Donald is referring to the the bluetooth wireless mic/system ECM-W1M or the SMAD-P3 adapter for the pro UWP-D(11/12/16) wireless systems.

I use the K1M on an A7S in combination with a UWP-D system or if I'm travelling light I ditch the K1M and use the UWP-D on the SMAD-P3. To answer your question though, you are correct, all of those accessories are powered through the Multi-Interface Shoe, although the UWP-D receiver can be set to use it's own batteries instead.

Phil Stanley October 14th, 2015 07:32 PM

Thanks for you feedback

Filippo Mulinacci October 18th, 2015 01:26 AM

Dear both,

what about the new Sony ECM-CG60 (Sony ECM-CG60 Shotgun Microphone ECMCG60 B&H Photo Video)

I saw good review on YouTube about the previous model (ECM-CG50), but unfortunately nothing yet on this new one....

This seems to me better than the other two, and given the price range one might expect it to be better than even the RODE ones...

I am thinking about it, as I could use it not only with my FDR-AX100, but also with my Canon 70D and new Panasonic DMC-FZ300.....any thought?

Phil Stanley October 18th, 2015 04:03 AM

Thank you Filippo that looks like another good option

John Nantz October 18th, 2015 11:44 AM

Another option is to go with a nonproprietary external mic setup. The advantages to this route is (1) if another cam is acquired it may not have the same Sony hotshoe configuration so whatever one buys for this cam won’t fit the new one, and (2) going the non-proprietary route provides a universe of mic options, both new and used. And there are two options for mounting an external mic: (1) cold shoe adapter, or (2) using a bracket so the mic is off to the side.

A cold shoe adapter that will allow non-proprietary mic holders doesn’t cost very much. The JJC MSA-MIS Cold Shoe Adapter http://www.amazon.com/JJC-MSA-MIS-Co.../dp/B00O1PZ9HE can be used for both a nonproprietary mic or a light support.

Going with the bracket option, it would most likely attach using the one and only 1/4” tripod screw on the bottom of the cam so be sure that the bracket provides for another tripod attachment point.

Phil Stanley October 19th, 2015 02:56 AM

Thank you John, I am thinking of the Rode Videomic Pro it seems to get good reviews

John Nantz October 19th, 2015 03:51 PM

The Røde mic is a very nice kit addition for this cam and I’m sure you’ll get a lot of use out of it, and their windshield is reasonably priced so the pair make a nice package.

The one thing that kinda bugs me about the hot-shoe design on the cam is the little door that covers it. The design is great, it’s just that when it’s open it seems like something that can have a problem if one isn’t careful. The hinge isn’t very robust and, actually, it seems delicate. I’m always concerned about somehow damaging it. The way it opens and closes is rather neat.

Sverrir Fridriksson October 21st, 2015 07:56 AM

I have been looking into both this camera and the x70 and a local vendor told me you could get the same XLR audio Unit for the AX100. It will set you back considerably more than the Rode videomic (like 3 or 4 times the price) but it is XLR so the difference in quality is considerable. I still haven't found this unit online though.

Any mic attached to the camera will pick up noise from the it (zooming or touching it in other ways) so maybe the Rode mic is just the thing. I have moved over to using an H6 and a mic for recording audio but that has it's own set of problems (like preferably an extra person to handle the sound!)

Paul Anderegg October 21st, 2015 09:23 AM

I just returned a CG60 kit to B&H last night, I was getting weird interference (EMI) on my A7s when I moved the cord around. I am now using a Sennheiser MKE400.....OMG, that thing is so TINY, but it needs batteries.

Paul

Paul Hardy October 21st, 2015 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sverrir Fridriksson (Post 1901021)
I have been looking into both this camera and the x70 and a local vendor told me you could get the same XLR audio Unit for the AX100. It will set you back considerably more than the Rode videomic (like 3 or 4 times the price) but it is XLR so the difference in quality is considerable. I still haven't found this unit online though.

Any mic attached to the camera will pick up noise from the it (zooming or touching it in other ways) so maybe the Rode mic is just the thing. I have moved over to using an H6 and a mic for recording audio but that has it's own set of problems (like preferably an extra person to handle the sound!)

Not quite - The XLR unit that attaches onto the AX100 does indeed give a shotgun mic holder & XLR inputs, however it DOES NOT have cold shoe on top nor does it have the extra Rec/Zoom buttons that are on the X70 additionally it cannot be used as a handle.

Not sure about prices where you are, but at retail if you purchased the AX100 + XLR-KM2 adapter you're looking at a similar price to an X70 + 4k upgrade anyway, so you'd be better off getting an X70 & loving the better codecs, profiles, dual card slots & Prime Support (if available where you are!)

Paul Anderegg October 22nd, 2015 12:02 AM

The add-on XLR unit is also an ungainly monstrosity. If you like DSLR rigs, then you would think the XLR unit is attractive. The Sennheiser MKE400 is SUPER TINY, and is reviewed as having same/better audio quality as/than the Rode, check the YouTube reviews. I have read reviews of the Sony XLR adaptors having ch1/ch2 bleed-over issues from various users of Sony MIS cameras. Don't forget you would ave to add a quality XLR mic to the mix as well. If you plan on shooting handheld, a long heavy shotgun can mess up your ability to hold the camera steady. My X70 is a bit unwieldy with shotgun without my LED attached to the REAR of the handle to keep the weight centered on my palm.

Paul