Smartphone control of AX100 with manual exposure? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old November 9th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Smartphone control of AX100 with manual exposure?

Hello,

I'd like to use my smartphone to control the AX100, mainly to check framing of stage events that I am performing in. When I set up exposure and switch to smartphone control mode, everything seems to revert to auto exposure. Is there a way around this?

Ben
Ben Kazez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Smartphone control of AX100 with manual exposure?

Wow, did I stump dvinfo?! This would be a major bummer as it's one of the main reasons I got the camera! Do other smartphone-monitored cameras suffer the same fatal flaw?

Ben
Old November 12th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

i've used it in the past and as far as I can tell you can change mode and zoom in and out - everything is on auto, even after you stop using it remotely. Play memories is pretty limited, they have better for some of their Dslr line but sadly not for the AX100
Old November 12th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #4
New Boot

Wow. What amazes me is you can set up perfect manual exposure and WB on the camera and then switching to smartphone control resets it. Unbelievably bad design. Do you know of other solutions for remote monitoring? I just need to check that all the performers are in the frame.
Old November 13th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #5
Major Player

"CBM " will control the pxw x70.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #6
New Boot

Interesting -- but apparently it doesn't see the AX100? I was just able to connect to my AX100 with PlayMemories but not CBM. I thought X70 and AX100 were virtually identical...did I miss something?
Old November 16th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #7
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kazez View Post
Wow. What amazes me is you can set up perfect manual exposure and WB on the camera and then switching to smartphone control resets it. Unbelievably bad design. Do you know of other solutions for remote monitoring? I just need to check that all the performers are in the frame.
Probably overkill but there are plenty of wireless SDI/HDMI monitoring solutions out there - a lot of them would be more expensive than the camera! You would need to use the infrared remote to control the camera itself.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 12:49 AM   #8
New Boot

Yeah, I'm afraid that's overkill for me...it seems it would be better to just buy a better camera at that rate. THe AX100's colors are very dull in low light as well. It seems like much more of a consumer camera than I anticipated.... Is the GH4 considered the right upgrade even with low-light as a priority, or is the general consensus to go all the way to A7S II?
Ben Kazez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds