DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   AX100 field monitor options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/530850-ax100-field-monitor-options.html)

John McCully January 10th, 2016 10:44 PM

AX100 field monitor options

The AX100 EVF is too dim for my eyes especially in bright sunlight. I note the HDMI out is disabled while recording 4k internally. I purchased an eyepiece but that is not an ideal solution by any means. I also note the Smartphone/Tablet work-around mentioned by Mark Rosenzweig way deep in the bowels of the original AX100 thread, page 41. I am investigating that option however I really would like something I can mount on the camera. Not easily mountable but any thoughts on a Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 Wi-Fi, or similar?

Suggestions most welcome.

Is this still the most cost-effective option?

I understand that a Atomos Shogun might be an option to record the HDMI output without pressing the record button on the camera, but that's a lot of money and hardly sensible, I reckon.

Apart from the dim EVF and the disabled HDMI out (why would they do that), the cam is very nice, I find.

Mark Watson January 11th, 2016 01:54 AM

Re: AX100 field monitor options

1 Attachment(s)
Hi John,

The Multi Port jack on the right side of the camera outputs a video signal also. I don't know if it outputs anything during 4K recording, as it requires a special cable I don't have (yet). At best, it would only be standard definition, as it's a composite video signal. A link is provided for the video/audio adapter cable and also for a special adapter that lets you retain the Lanc function while getting the video output.

Sony LANC Adapter Cable - AV/R Pro LANC 10 pin Adapter Cable 2.5 mm to D connector Video Audio
15mr2 | B&H Photo Video

I just ordered the combination video/audio/Lanc cable and will see if it works in 4K (or any!) mode once it arrives. The plug is the older Sony D-shaped 10-pin connector, but at least I already have the proper adapter to make that connect to the Multi Port. Apparently it's shipping by pony express, so i don't expect to get it in under 2 weeks.

Since you'd have to rig up an external monitor of some sort with this cable option, would it be better to use a screen shade on the LCD?

Mark

John McCully January 11th, 2016 02:20 AM

Many thanks Mark. I wondered about the Multi Port jack. I shall stay tuned for your results.

A screen shade is certainly an option if all else fails however I find the LCD too small. I see teenagers, girls mostly, walking down the street with their eyes glued to a postage stamp size LCD screen close to the end of their nose and wish I had their eyesight, if not the addiction. No, I really need a 7 inch or bigger screen to comfortably set up tripod shots and follow wildlife, sailboats and suchlike. The shade would perhaps get me half-way there but nothing like a decent size field monitor at my age and stage.

I also need such a device for my A7RII for the same reasons however the good news there is that the HDMI out does not go away when one hits the record button. While a one solution for both cams would be ideal the A7RII certainly justifies an HD at least capable field monitor. So in all likelihood I might need two new products; one for the crippled AX100 and another for the glorious A7RII.

Jim Stamos January 11th, 2016 12:02 PM

I use the hood man loupe on my ex1r lcd.it's great will fit perfectly on the 3.5 inch lcd.
Very good diopter.
Crisp focus
http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=HEXKP

John McCully January 11th, 2016 01:33 PM

Thanks Jim, that device might be useful especially as I also have an EX1 (seldom used these days). I am still inclined to go with a large screen monitor so I don't need to get my head right in there.

Bruce Dempsey January 11th, 2016 05:53 PM

last time i tried no video out of hdmi or av whilst recording 4k
So don't record internally

Jim Stamos January 11th, 2016 06:51 PM

I use the IKAN 7inch out of mine and its great.
they are actually headquartered here in houston so i was able to get a good bstock unit for 200.

John McCully January 11th, 2016 10:08 PM

Jim, you are using the $275.00 IKAN 7 inch out of your AX100 while recording 4k internally? Is that what you are saying? I hope so.. Conventional wisdom says that is impossible. Please do tell me more about the how...

Jim Stamos January 13th, 2016 02:59 AM

hey john,
sorry for confusion. i was letting poster know about the hoodman loupe which makes it much easier focussing with the lcd.
i mentioned the ikan because i use them when i shoot, but im not using the ax100.
i shoot with the ex1r.
but i believe ive ready you cant get 4k out of the camera via hdmi into an external monitor.

John McCully January 13th, 2016 12:58 PM

Thanks for the clarification Jim, much appreciated. Yes, you are right; seems one can't get 4k out of the AX100 via HDMI in fact I can't get anything out of the HDMI while recording internally, more's the shame, as otherwise it's a great cam for the money.

Cheers...

Bruce Dempsey January 17th, 2016 03:34 PM

clean hdmi output to streaming device while recording avchd internally yesterday for 12 hours

Mark Watson January 22nd, 2016 11:18 PM

Adapter arrived. No output from multi port while recording in 4K, same as the way the HDMI output works. (you get an output from the ports until you hit the record button) If you use an external recorder with a nice screen, you can go into 4K mode and record from the HDMI output as long as you don't hit RECORD on the camera. Not a cheap solution.

I've been able to get an output from the HDMI in all recording modes except 4K. Even 120 fps works. Just 4K is a no-go.

Mark

John McCully January 23rd, 2016 12:32 AM

Thanks for that Mark, why am I not surprised. Perhaps it's an overheating concern.

A nice field monitor/recorder might be in my future, one that accepts the HDMI feed from both the AX100 and the A7RII that can be comfortably viewed in full sunlight. I imagine you are spot on when you say not a cheap solution.

Regarding brightness a quick search and we are in the area of 'nits' not the lousy variety but the 'candela per square meter (cd/mē)' version. I note the Atomos Ninja Assassin 4K HDMI Recorder and 7" Monitor at B&H New York which appears to have adequate recording options, overkill perhaps, and weighs in at 400 nits which may or may not be bright enough, probably marginal in my shooting environment.

The price (gulp) only $1295.00 US.

Mark Watson January 23rd, 2016 05:45 AM

John,

If you get a monitor/recorder for the AX100, consider getting the WAMX00 bracket to give more mounting options. I just received mine and it's feather light and seems like a useful design. Too many monitor/recorder options to choose from right now. I'm cooling my heels on getting one for a little while longer. I still pull out the SmallHD DP6 when I can find room for it in my bag. Just got a few more FS7 accessories , a light meter and a Zoom H8, which should keep me busy learning all about audio. I'd be curious to know how that Ninja recorder does with the AX100's high speed video (1280x720 120P)

Mark

dm-accessories wamx00 | B&H Photo Video

Mark Watson January 24th, 2016 07:29 PM

John,

If you use 4K mode a lot, I think I'd look into the Hoodman loupe or a screen shade, otherwise your monitor won't be of any use during record mode.

Well, it's been a while longer and I just pulled the trigger on the 7Q+. Tried to nitpick but couldn't find a spec for the Odyssey's screen.

If you get a loupe or shade, please post back.

Mark