New Sony PXW-Z150 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Trustee

New Sony PXW-Z150

So, I'm sure we all saw this model coming several months ago. Knowing how Sony has shared models for decades across different markets, it's no supprise at all to anybody.

Forgetting about the IRIS ring and ergonomics for a minute, how does the image quality compare to the PXW X70? I'm guessing they probably share the same motherboard chipset and design?

We know the image sensor is based on the newer RX10-II model as opposed to the X70's original RX10 sensor. But how does that new stacked sensor design improve the image quality or noise performance?

If the price point is reasonable, this could be a nice grab and go run and gunner.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Sony PXW-Z150

B&H shows $3,595. Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM Camcorder PXW-Z150 B&H Photo Video

With the NX100 being only $1,699 I would have expected the 30P UHD version to be closer to $2500.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Why did they not carry over and adapt the guts of the Z100 and once again create an inferior product with the Z150???

This makes me very weary of Sony model numbers in the future. They didn't update this camera's body at all from the NX100 so the heat characteristics are going to be equally limited. I wouldn't be surprised if there are HDMI limitations on this camera. In the very least it's priced more competitively and has an SDI out, though I wouldn't be surprised if that's disabled in 4K mode.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; February 23rd, 2016 at 04:33 PM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Trustee

I'm pretty sure it's 3G SDI and no 4k over SDI. HDMI will be the Sony typical UHD, 8bit 4:2:2.

It appears to be an X70 inside a larger body, same X70 optics but with IRIS ring. Sensor is the RX10-II.

Heat won't be a problem at all on this camera. Hell, the RX10-II has no heat problems with a similar motherboard and that little camera can even do 960 fPS in short bursts. The RX10-II can record back to back UHD files pretty much endlessly with no heat problems.

CT
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh dear - no UHD at 50/60p - think Sony have lost it. Its no use to me I'm afraid - 25/30p is too juddery.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'll make this bet: Sony will never adapt their camera SD card slots to UHS-II compatible slots by NAB. Guaranteed. (And what I mean is ACTUALLY USING the extra pins to get as high as 300MB/s transfer speed. All current Sony camera SD card slots are UHS-I.)

Instead, a new speed tier for XQD will be introduced and possibly higher capacities for XQD.

Sony may be making UHS-II cards, but none of their cameras can take full advantage of the extra pins in the standard...

A friend also brought up the possibility that using the cheapest available chipset for mass production is the reason why everything coming out of Sony recently has been limited to 4K 30p. The only 60p cameras have one thing in common: They all use in one part a high logic FPGA processor that is reprogrammable. The Z100 likely had this, hence why it needed a fan.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Sad really I was hoping for a larger sensor model with UHD60P to replace my FDR-AX1. This has the battery power and body to support a fan etc but that would have made the FS5 vulnerable !!!! FDR-AX1, PXW-Z100 and the FS7 are the only ones with UHD60P before things get very expensive !!! Only other model is the Panasonic DVX200. I was hoping to stay with Sony but the DVX200 is starting to look more attractive.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Things have been looking much more interesting on the consumer front lately. Not only are the changes less incremental, the costs are often a lot cheaper (due to far greater economies of scale). Unless your work is really for high-end clientele, the justification to have such middle-of-the-road or "prosumer" gear like this camera is not what it used to be.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #9
Trustee

Here's the official product page:
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Sony Answers Questions on the New Sony PXW-Z150 4k Camcorder:
Sony Answers Questions on the New Sony PXW-Z150 4k Camcorder | Digital Camera Review
Old February 24th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #11
Major Player

I've been watching for a replacement for the Z100. This clearly isn't it. Total nonevent.
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Sony messed up by not including SLOG-2 on this camera. Sony's Alpha division is handing out SLOG-2 left and right. Even the RX10-II and new A6300 have it.

In theory, the little RX10-II will give you signicantly more dynamic range than this XDCAM because of SLOG-2's gamma compression.

With the ergonomics discussion completely aside, it's ironic to see cheaper Sony models carry more high end options than more expensive models.

Sony plays really weird and silly marketing games like that.

The Z150 costs too much for it to have SLOG-2. If they set the price point lower and called it a "consumer" camera, than for sure it would be eligible to have more options like SLOG-2. ;-)

CTR

Last edited by Cliff Totten; February 25th, 2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Interesting how there's already a pricedrop on the z150 and it's not even out yet.
3595.00 to 3199.00
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
I've been watching for a replacement for the Z100. This clearly isn't it. Total nonevent.
I too am looking for an improved version of my FDR-AX1. Same recording specs just a better sensor and I am sure this would be true for the Z100 too since they have the same sensor !! Larger sensor would require a shorter zoom but that is OK. A competitor for the Panasonic DVX200 for at the moment Sony do not have one close. A lower cost fixed lens version of the FS7 !! Consumer version with UHD XVAC-S and pro with 4K and UHD XAVC I & L Just like the AX1 and the Z100 and could bracket the DVX200 for cost too. The Z150 is close but not close enough for me. No UHD 60P its not on the list.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #15
New Boot

I totally agree with Mark and Ron here. I was quite excited about the PXW-Z150. As I don't have a massive budget, investing in small sensor 2013 4K technology (Z100) is high risk. I was hoping this would be a suitable replacement but with the XAVC-L codec rather than XAVC-I.

The lack of UHD 50p (PAL for me) makes this a none starter. I do mainly videography and need that temporal resolution. The fact it looks 'real' is mostly a plus to me.

Top of my list currently is the Pana DVX-200.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds