PXW-Z150 coming soon! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:09 PM   #1
Trustee

PXW-Z150 coming soon!

And in other news, anyone want to buy my PXW-X770 with 4K installed? :-)

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-x...0_landing_page

Crap, this is a true X70 in an NX100 case, complete with 4K, SDI,a dn networking.....yay, my wet dream just happened!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: PXW-Z150 coming soon!

Forgot to mention the most important feature......it has a flappy built in lens cover in the lens hood. :-)

Paul
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Could be interesting with the new Gen II RS BSI Stack sensor and continuous 120p. Plus is carries XDCam 422 MXF, useful! All on SDXC cards.

First 4K footage.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Trustee

The PXW-Z150 seems to be what i was waiting for........has all the features of the X70 with the physical functionality of the X180/X200, but with several pounds of weight removed. The lack of live streaming and no SDI kept me away from the NX100, but this Z150 with 720p60 XDCAM and most likely the same shoot in 1080p60/4K but still be able to output 720p60 via SDI makes this my perfect camera. Would be nice to have detail enhancing peaking, and maybe a few more buttons, but I think they nailed it 90% with this little guy.

As for the new Exmor RS BSI sensor, the RX peeps been saying it gave them one stop gains, but that might be just because they added an extra gain /ISO up to 25000 to the unit. The X70 at 60i 1/30 shutter is rated at 1.7 lux. This Z150 is also rated at 1.7 lux. The X70 at 1/60 shutter is 3.2 lux though, but that 1.7 on the Z150 doesn't specifiy shutter. I would be happy is each gain setting on the Z150 were to produce as much noise as one 6db less on the X70, would really increase the usability of ClearImage zoom use for night ENG, even if the gain still stops at 33db.

And what is uop with this f4.5 "G" lens........I want my f4.0 Zeiss! :(

Paul
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Maybe the next upgrade with UHD60P and HDMI 2.0 will be perfect !!! That would replace my FDR-AX1 with the same batteries but using SD rather than XQD though a version with XQD would be fine with me.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sony Answers Questions on the New Sony PXW-Z150 4k Camcorder:
http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id|11194
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #7
Major Player

coming from the ex1r, i was looking at the fs5, but that stock lens for me has too many focus issues, and i need one i can get at least 12x for my shoots. ive read that the lens on the 150 is the same as the ex as far as quick fast focus, but instead has more of an infinite ring. Not good.
Ill see it up close at NAB and be able to tell if i can get a good manual focus with it, which u cannot with the 18 105 stock lens on the fs5.
the 150 seems to have the same focus ring type as the x70, i sure hope not.
if thats not an issue, its a no brainer for me at 3600.00.
ill give my opinion on from NAB
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #8
Trustee

Will they let you play with it at NAB? There are a few things I would love tested out........I have been bitten by buying before trying enough that I held back the impulse to preorder the Z150.......God knows what strange anomaly the thing has!

Paul
Old February 25th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Interesting Cam, maybe what I am looking for. Was thinking about X70 until I saw this, and can wait some.

Specs say "Live Streaming over WiFi". Does anyone know if this gives the ability to do the same live streaming as using a Teradek Vidiu or Livestream box? Would be nice to save the extra $800 or so if built in.
Rick Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes they totally let you handle them, theyre all lined up facing models in the middle.Very colorful.
Plus BH always has their booth right next to sony with all the cameras lined up on tripods for you to
fiddle with.
NAB is the show of shows. Nothing better than getting all the companies in the biz all at one place to see and talk with.
Ive been going for years. Of course, being in Vegas certainly doesnt hurt.
Old February 26th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Jim, can I make you a list of things to check out on the little guy? You can singlehandedly answer dozens of questions that people here will want to know but that the regular reviewers never seem to report on.

Rick, my X70 does MPEG-TS UDP streaming, as did my X180 and X200. My stations JVC cameras do MPEG-TS as well as an assortment of other acronym's. It would be assumable that the Z150 would do MPEG-TS UDP, and they have already specified it will have a future firmware upgrade for Sony proprietary QoS streaming, Sony's Zixi style protocol. I can feed MPEG-TS to my stations Teradek server from any of the above listed cameras, but Cube encoders will not do MPEG-TS UDP without a paid $500 license.

If anyone wants to really try ENG field streaming, I highly recommend getting the USB to LAN dongle, and using an outboard CradlePoint modem with built in 4G and large paddle antennas, it really makes a difference. The stupid engineers at Sony will only give their cameras 2.4GHz unreliable WiFi, and only compatibility with 5 year old modems that don't do the new high speed AWS bands, so JVC has them beat there.

Paul
Old February 27th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #12
Major Player

Paul absolutely get me a list of what u want me to look at on the 150.
BTW the guy that shot the video above from adorama, fernando, i emailed him and specifically asked about the manual focus ring. he said it was the infinite turning type, most likely like the x70. So it is not like my ex1r where u get that quick focus.
Ill know more on that when i actually try it in April.
Get me the info you want to know on this new cam.
jimstamos@sbcglobal.net
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Trustee

I am fully expecting a rebodied X70 with slightly updated firmware, for things like the XDCAM codec and 100Mbps 4K. The new adjustment toggle is interesting...........but I wonder how fast I can run up the gain when I need to? I typically lock my X70 to f2.8 and a set shutter, then adjust exposure while rolling by rolling the gain up and down. Not sure how I would work with exposure on this new camera, other than bumping up to a very high gain and using the iris ring.

I am VERY INTERESTED in one mini review that stated the bayonet wide converter for the Z100 zits this camera................might be speculation, we all know the PMW200 wide converter won't fit the X200, they make alterations.

Paul
Old March 1st, 2016, 07:17 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I am sure it has lots in common with the X70 /AX100 but it has a completely new sensor, lens and battery system. It now has the lens shutter system from the larger NX cameras rather than the silly lens cap so yes the mount may well work. If only it had UHD 60P at 150Mbps it would be great.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:56 PM   #15
Equal Opportunity Offender

I watched the YouTube official demo video for the camera and what really struck me is the slight visual judder during the pans. It's first noticeable in the pan from the street towards the Triumph service shop. It may well be the shutter rate used in the camera, but it's enough to put me off.

Has anyone else noticed this? I was watching at 1440p and there is a chance that my graphics card wasn't coping when I was watching at full screen, but I've never previously had it with other sub-4K viewing.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds