Large mic on a small camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 1st, 2016, 05:49 AM   #1
Trustee

Large mic on a small camera

I need a way to mount my $1500 Sanken CS3e onto my tiny X70, without it protruding more than 3-4 inches from the mic mount. If I clamp the mount around the foam windscreen, the rear end is so heavy that it pokes upward. If it is mounted any further forward, it will produce an obvious shadow on everything I shoot all the time from my rear mounted LED light.

Looking for ideas on how to get this long mic hard mounted, without a cumbersome bulky attachment method. Any ideas? I've searched all the B&H stuff, can't find anything that looks usable. :(

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Large mic on a small camera

Oh yeah, I own a Sony CAC-12 that I can take apart for parts, or bolt to whatever I can to grip the mic.

Paul
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am in the same Situation: Mounting a (soon arriving) Sanken CS3e to the Sony X70. I guess I can use my cold Rycote Shoe from B&H which I bought years ago and used with my Sony NX5. I can't find it any longer on the web, but it Looks exactly as the hot shoe version "Rycote InVision Video Hot Shoe Microphone Suspension". With this I can mount the Sanken at the rear camera shoe and twist the mic to the left side of the camera.

I am not shure if this will help you.
Roland Achini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Trustee

OK, I ended up using the CARDBOARD from an expended Scotch tape roll, cut it into a couple of U shaped segments, then wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around the Mic. the cardboard was stacked on the bottom rear area of where the mic gets clamped, and it worked out so that it "lifts" the back end of the mic, preventing it from dropping. It now sticks out only about an inch more than the little mic I was using, and the back end points straight back all the way to about where the rear of the handle ends. A little cumbersome, but we will see how it works out, solid hold.

You will want to engage the low cut switch on the mic shaft, as the CS3e has a lot of bass, too much.....not rumbling undertones of background, but voices are very deep.

Paul
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Trustee

BTW, the very first SOT on this YouTube clip was using my CS3e on camera for the interview.....that is with the low cut not activated.

Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
You will want to engage the low cut switch on the mic shaft, as the CS3e has a lot of bass, too much.....not rumbling undertones of background, but voices are very deep.
Paul
Do you use a windshield such as a Rycote Softie with your Sanken CS3e?
Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:15 AM   #7
Trustee

Ewwwwww. yucky!

Those produce shadows.

Paul
Old March 4th, 2016, 03:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I make documentaries in direct cinema style. So I film with available light only (no shadows by the mic). To improve the sound quality I definitely need a winshield when filming outdoor.
Old March 19th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I now have a Rycote Lyre Mount to fix my Sanken CS-3e to the Sony X70 and a 18cm (19/22) Rycote Softie to protect against wind. It works perfectly.
Roland Achini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds