PXW-Z150's now shipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old April 18th, 2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Trustee

PXW-Z150's now shipping

B&H shipped mine this morning, it should arrive Thursday night, in time for my last work night of the week.

Yay........I would be more exited, but I have been surprisingly disappointed by most every new PXW camera I have taken delivery of recently.

And in other news, Sony came out with a PXW-Z450 shoulder 4K camera. :-|

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: PXW-Z150's now shipping

Played with a Z150 today at NAB. Very nice camera!

From the best I can tell, the menu options are a clone on the X70. The lens is nice and smooth. You can even "creep" a very sloooow if you want. (Not so well with the X70)

My only complaint is that they placed the menu button in the oddest place...on top of the handle, way up front! The only way to see it is to point the camera up or try to look down at the front of the handle to find it. Weird!!

I think I'm buying one too.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Trustee

I never could use the side menu buttons on the X180 and X200, I actually found the top menu easier to operate! I only ever used the menu on and 5 way dial anyway. One feature I guess is missing is the ability of the X180 to playback files while streaming......sometimes my station needs b roll fed back for super fast tease turn around.

Paul
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
Played with a Z150 today at NAB. Very nice camera!

From the best I can tell, the menu options are a clone on the X70. The lens is nice and smooth. You can even "creep" a very sloooow if you want. (Not so well with the X70)

My only complaint is that they placed the menu button in the oddest place...on top of the handle, way up front! The only way to see it is to point the camera up or try to look down at the front of the handle to find it. Weird!!

I think I'm buying one too.
Isn't it the same lens as the AX100 & X70? Aperture closes down rapidly as you zoom in?
Trying to talk myself out of buying this camera and just getting another AX100 as I was planning to do last night when I saw this on B&H site, but with expected ship date of mid-May. It says 120 fps in HD, but is that FHD or 720p like AX100? If only 720P then I think I'll go with another AX100.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #5
Trustee

The lens on the Z150 is totally different. It is a 12x f2.8 G series lens, with 62mm filter thread. The AX100 only has a 12x f2.8 Zeiss lens, with 62mm filter thread. We all know G is better than Zeiss, because G stands for Gooder. :-)

Seriously though, if you "manipulate" controls and functions frequently, the X70/Z150 will really make you happy, it is a world of difference to not use the stupid touch screen menu!

Paul
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
The lens on the Z150 is totally different. It is a 12x f2.8 G series lens, with 62mm filter thread. The AX100 only has a 12x f2.8 Zeiss lens, with 62mm filter thread. We all know G is better than Zeiss, because G stands for Gooder. :-)

Seriously though, if you "manipulate" controls and functions frequently, the X70/Z150 will really make you happy, it is a world of difference to not use the stupid touch screen menu!

Paul
I like touch screens and wish my NX5U had one that worked on more than just one item. I can touch focus on the AX100 much quicker and more accurately than on the NX5U. I can understand that in your case focusing in the dark is not a good autofocus task !!! However I do realize that all my projects have the cameras on tripods. The menu button on the NX5U is on the side where it can be used easily reached high up on a tripod, the Z150 position makes this hopeless. It is clearly a camera for hand held where the menu button use is not realtime while recording. For instance I sometimes reset the gain values while the camera is recording. I do wish the AX100 had a real button to initiate the menu though so in that I agree.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Trustee

I strongly suspect that the Z150 is the exact same electronics as the X70. It's probably the exact same glass too without the Zeiss logo and is free of Zeiss royalties.

I do think it might have a different lens servo. It does appear to me to have smoother zoom rocker control.

Wait..did I see a cooling fan on it yesterday?

You do get 120fps in HD, which is a nice upgrade over the X70.

I have to buy a DJI Ronin next, but after that, I'm going for a Z150. I like it's "grab and go" feel even better than my X70, EX1r and FS5.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Photographer

Texas Media shipped mine an hour ago for am delivery. I have two air to air missions scheduled for tomorrow evening so it will be earning it's keep shortly after unboxing, as a back up to my FS7.
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Very impressed with it at nab.totally different lens than the 170.it is not infinite turning to try and focus,it focuses fast in manual like the ex1r.true iris ring that's very smooth.just a tad smaller than theex,but light as a feather compared to my ex.
Lowlights is very good,I put it on some people in a dark area and went as high as 21db,no noise,very clean.
This could b the one for me
I actually like the menu on the top,all alone,easy to get to and use the selection button
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #10
Photographer

That's encouraging Jim. I am looking forward to seeing how the dual sensor technology influences the imagery. I have really enjoyed my X-70, but I'm hoping this camera is a noticeable step up. I'll post some clips after tomorrow evenings air to air work.
Old April 20th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #11
Major Player

James
The x70 is a nice camera
But after putting my hands on the 150 and again seeing the x70 right next to it,Im convinced it's a step up.
Please post your review
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds