PXW-Z150 first impressions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old July 4th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #46
Photographer

Re: PXW-Z150 first impressions

I saw that last night Jeremy, beautiful stuff isn't it!? Doug has the gift for sure!
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #47
Trustee

OMFG, I wish I could make my Z150 look like that! :-O

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #48
Photographer

My thoughts exactly! Proves that old adage about the tools and the hands the tools are in, doesn't it. Look on the bright side, we know the camera is capable of it, and it gives us something to work toward. This color grading stuff is kicking my butt, and the 150 doesn't even beg for it like Slog on my FS/7. I want some kind of "auto" button...............:)
Old July 5th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #49
Trustee

Color grading kicks your butt until you understand how to do it! Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fun, sort of like knowing a secret code to a safe full of gold. I love FCPX's simple grading controls, which are quick and easy, but severely limited for anything other than bringing standard profiles into better shape. For anything that you'd want to look like Dougs, Resolve has much better tools. The best way to learn is to download the free Resolve, and just mess with some clips for a few hours, have fun, play around with all the controls while googling what each one does. You can do it! :-D

Paul
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I think that Dougs should send this video to Sony to replace their promotion video.

Amazing, Paul I wish that I can take from this camera the 10% of Dougs video quality. ;)

The only think for my job is the top menu ;(, I use it on tripod for live streaming so it’s a little bit hard to use it.
Antony Tsioukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:01 AM   #51
Major Player

Because I like to create short compilation of clips similar in length and style to Doug's masterpiece and because I have little better to do I have developed the habit of seeking to understand exactly what it is that makes such a compilation as this so compelling; learning from the Master, if you will. It is not often that I encounter a piece that fires me up, inspires me and stimulates me to create as this one does.

And while I certainly would not underestimate or downplay Doug's grading skills as demonstrated here the things that really got my attention are his camera work, sequencing of subject matter within the general broad context of the marine environment, length of individual clips (mostly about 3 seconds which to me seems just about right) and his selection of the soundtrack. A few tastefully done focus pulls and excellent use of fade in and outs, and cuts add to the overall excellence.

Nothing gimmicky like an over-abundance of shallow DoF shots that are all the rage and outrageous color manipulation including rank over-saturation nor blue green orange and teal all over the place, and that's all to be applauded.

With this small production the single most important take home for me is his camera work, smooth and skillful framing in particular. Seems to me he gets it remarkably right in the camera at square one. I'm thinking there is nothing more important.

That's my learning today. Many thanks Doug.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #52
Trustee

Here is a demonstration clip of how the Z150 does at maximum 33db gain up. This was shot with REC709 gamma, no black gamma stretch, and gain se to 0 with +1 crispening, which cuts down gain noise. Of note is how the highlights look, like the wheels and the license plate. I can't really make out any pixel movement or noise in the bright stuff.....obviously, the shadows suffer more. If you've experienced the X70 at 33db gain, you will see this Z150 is at 33db what the X70 is noise wise at 27db. Looks better obviously prior to YouTube compression.

Old October 17th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #53
Regular Crew

Paul - a way back there was a discussion about WA adaptors for the X70. Does the one you got also work for the Z150 (I got a used very similar JVC 0.82x that did the job) ? It looks like the same lens on both cameras, so I guess it would.

Thanks,
Terence
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #54
Trustee

The Z150 has the same 62mm lens. I am using my EXII 16x9 0.8x adaptor still, but EX makes a "Z5" bayonet adaptor ring, that fits the bayonet system of the Z150 as well. I can now "twist n lock" the same converter I had to thread onto my X70 onto the nose of my Z150. MUCH MORE CONVENIENT!

Paul
Old October 18th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Thanks, Paul - good to know.

-Terence
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 07:54 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
The Z150 has the same 62mm lens. I am using my EXII 16x9 0.8x adaptor still, but EX makes a "Z5" bayonet adaptor ring, that fits the bayonet system of the Z150 as well. I can now "twist n lock" the same converter I had to thread onto my X70 onto the nose of my Z150. MUCH MORE CONVENIENT!

Paul
Paul

Do you have a name/link for the the "Z5" bayonet adaptor of which you speak? Thanks.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #57
Trustee

0.8x version https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0_8x_Wide.html

0.75x version 16x9 Inc 169 HDWC75X Z5 EXII 0 75X Wide Lens Converter with Bayonet Mount for Sony Cameras | Full Compass

16x9 Inc sells the Z5 "ring", which can be screwed onto the back of any of their EXII converters, so if you find an 82mm or 72mm or Panasonic bayonet version, you can simply unthread the bear ring and convert it to the bayonet mount system. I got my EXII bayonet mount 0.8x version for $150 brand new. Apparently, because the Z5 is not made any more, they considered the lens not as valuable ot he market.

Sony also makes a direct bayonet mount converter. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...52934714882%2C

Paul
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:13 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Paul, now I'm intrigued: to your experience, does the bayonet fit the X70?

thanks
Sauro Scroglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:32 AM   #59
Trustee

Nope, the X70 has a little snot, the Z150 has that big flat oversized front end, which is why it accepts a 72mm converter!

Paul
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:23 AM   #60
Major Player

Paul, thanks for your reply.

I looked at the 16x9 inc site. I suspect the Z5 ring would have been found in the category "Threaded Rings" but despite having the page there, there are no listed products.

But just to be clear that I've understood you correctly, you are talking about a ring which allows you to mate a lens with a given thread size to a wide angle converter with a bayonet mount? Analogous to the way in which a step up or down ring allows you to use filters of a different thread size than the lens you're putting it on.
Jase Tanner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds