PXW-Z150 first impressions - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 26th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #76
Major Player

Re: PXW-Z150 first impressions

On the X70 you can do both PAL and NTSC. Just needs a few more button clicks.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 03:23 AM   #77
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fotis View Post
I *think* (but I may be wrong) that you cannot have both 50 Hz and 60 Hz modes in the same body. I am pretty certain that the NX100 has this limitation.

Theoretically, the ClearZoom technology gives you extra reach (but in HD, I think, not in 4K). I think that I shall have to download the PDF manual for another round of study.

Cheers,
N.F.
ClearImage zoom works in both HD and UHD...the dispaly says Ci all the way to 2x, even though ClearImage is suppossed to stop at 1.5x in UHD mode. The difference between Clear Image and the 2x+ "Digital Zoom", is that Clear Image continues to process detail/sharpening scaling, and once you go past 2x, digital zoom just magnifies the already sharpened pixels, which looks harsh by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fotis View Post
I was thinking about the NX100 as my entry level pro camcorder, but I noticed recently that there are very nice 4K IPS panel TVs coming at under 500$, and that has caused me to start getting second thoughts about 'future proofing' etc.
N.F.
IPS panels are a BAD choice for a UHD tv set...they have very low contrast and terrible black levels. You should only get one if you watch the set from the side angles frequently. On a PC monitor it might be a good thing, since your face might float around in front of it, but on a TV it sucks.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Most probably, I was confused by a statement that the NX100 is not a 'world camera', and I assumed that the same held for the Z150?

My muddy posts should be attributed to writing these past midnight...

Cheers,
N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 06:25 PM   #79
Major Player

How's the autofocus? I have some run and gun outdoor shoots that may require some auto focus. Maybe also a little indoor (school classrooms)
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 07:37 PM   #80
Trustee

I do run and gun exclusively, and never use autofocus...I do not find the camera to have an issue manually focusing and running around...the focus is so quick to turn it is never a issue.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:52 PM   #81
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
I have some run and gun outdoor shoots that may require some auto focus.
Nothing requires auto focus. Someone may choose to use it because they think they lack the skills to focus manually, but that doesn't mean it is required. Break free from AF and you will never look back.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:07 AM   #82
Trustee

Nothing "requires" auto focus? Well, I suppose that is technically true but there are times that it "can" be useful. AF has come a loooooooong way in the past 5 years. It's getting accurate and very fast these days. Looking at the Z150's fly by wire lens system, it's not like you have true tactile, geared control of anything on that lens. All your ring responses are electronically buffered.

SD was easy to focus, HD harder and with 4k having 4 times the resolution? To manually lock on to very high frequency image details with an LCD or viewfinder that is 1/4 UHD resolution....even with peaking...is very difficult in a run and gun situation. Our own camera on-board monitoring systems are a relatively low resolution!...do we all not agree with this? We are focusing 8+ megapixel images with 1-2 mega pixel LCD/veiwfinders. Now that Sony is doing 6k sensor readout, their 4k images have even more detail these days.

Last year, I took my A6300 out to my backyard and shot my two dogs running at full speed in circles with each other. Lemme tell you, I manually focused pretty well on them but when I switched to auto? Holy crap, that high speed auto focus nailed those dogs running in and out of my DoF REALLY well.

When I played it back in camera in the yard, I though; "wow...I'm just a good as the auto focus". It's only when I got inside to my NLE and looked it in full 4k did I say..."Damn, this camera AF DID beat me....allot"

The technology is changing, it's only going to get get faster and smarter. I do agree with the "manual AF is great" idea and I love the fun and satisfaction of manual focus but I'm also becoming agreeable to the idea that Sony's latest AF technology is getting very "scary-good".

One last ting: In a chaotic situation that requires you to ride the Z150's (or other) fly by wire iris ring AND focus ring with the same fingers....all at once...with your thumb and four other fingers...together, at the exact same time...exposure and focus in different directions...with split second precision 4k acuracy....with a 1/4 UHD resolution monitor...while simultaneously zooming in and out? If anybody can master that 100%?...

P.S. Everybody uses AF at times but only the truest "pros" will never ever in a million years admit it publicly. We all know how shameful AF is in our industry. ;-)

Last edited by Cliff Totten; April 2nd, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:24 AM   #83
Vortex Media

Cliff,

Once again, we are in total disagreement.

I have never used AF in my whole 35 year career for anything except testing purposes when producing one of my training videos -- so that doesn't count. I have never used it on a real shoot.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:06 PM   #84
Trustee

OK, to be serious. If anybody can control "fly by wire" zoom, iris, exposure and perfect 4k focus on a one quater 4k resolution monitor on a chaotic run and gun scene....all simultaneously, moving together at once....than i take my hat off you or anybody than can. You are right, i certainly cannot do all things at the same time.

In manual focus, I rely heavily on focus expansion tools to get ultra tight focus. Im always over obsessed about focus and i always question it every 3 seconds. For me, i generally cant frame a fast moving object while my focus expansion is engaged. (Like sports athletes) Peaking is trustworthy much of the time but not always. But, whatever. ...everybody is different.

In the end, we see many things alike but i simply think that AF "can" be a usefull tool for certain things, thats all. I dont think that auto-anything (shutter, focus iris or auto ev+/-) is in any way shameful.

The ultimate goal for us is to "get the shot" perfectly. If one guy got the perfect shot full manual and another got the same shot perfectly focused eith AF...nobody will ever know. We only know when the focus is off or soft...thats the only time we know the camera guy screwed up. ( both AF or MF)

CT

Last edited by Cliff Totten; April 3rd, 2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #85
Trustee

A very simple "real world" situation could be this:

College football game - You are on the sidelines shooting - Quaterback thows the ball to a wide reciever, he catches and comes running straight at you with the sun behind him. He screams right by you on his way to the end zone which is in the shade cast by high bleachers.

Anybody that can stay in perfect 4k focus on a fly by wire lens while rolling the iris and zooming in and out on a tiny 1/4 resolution display? If somebody can do all that by themselves on a 7 second scene? That that guy is better than me. I take my hat off to that guy/gal.

This is not a hypothetical unreal situation. Its very real and happens commonly.

CT
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #86
Vortex Media

Then take your hat off . . and leave it off. NFL Films, local news shooters, and broadcast cameramen do that kind of stuff on every weekend. What is the big deal? And something is either in focus or it is not in focus -- regardless of the resolution. What difference does 4K make?

Just because you can't do something doesn't mean others can't. Auto-Focus (at least in this day in age) is always an amateur crutch. Maybe someday it might be good enough for professional use, but not today.
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #87
Inner Circle

You two remind me of some of my car enthusiast friends. One set insists that the only way to drive a car is with manual transmission. The other points out that current race cars use automatics because the driver just cannot change gear quick enough.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #88
Trustee

lol, I know Ron, it's pretty funny. But it's cool, I do love a spirited debate! ;-)

It's true Doug, I do have a hard time turning my iris ring with my index finger and thumb clockwise while simultaneously turning my focus ring counter-clockwise "accurately" with my pinky finger. I'm just not going to say I can.

Doug, your pinky finger (or ring finger) must me much stronger mine. Now, I "can" switch between grabbing my iris and focus rings "separately" and working each "individually" but I can't do them simultaneously on one hand in a 7 second chaotic wide receiver scenario like I stated.

Embarrassed? No Doug, I'm honest and not embarrassed to say I cant do that. Your two ring simultaneous spin while zooming skill is exceptional and not the norm, I think. I'm pretty sure all those guys on the sidelines never use auto anything...that would be crazy. Even though Google images seems to suggest otherwise.

How do you keep your ultra tight, phase detect quality, manual 4k focus on a small 1/4 resolution screen without relying on focus expansion? I can only guess that your eye sight is much better than mine as well. I myself am not very good and seeing razor sharp 8 megapixel images on little 2 megapixel LCD/Viewfinders. My glasses dont seem to get me any more than 2 megapixels either. I dunno, it's just me I guess.

"Focus expansion"...if "focus is focus" and your screen resolution doesn't matter? You dont use 4x and 8x focus expansion? God knows I do! That's prolly another "crutch" of mine.

Have you actually tried Sony's latest generation AF? Have you ever tried and Sony A6500 or even an A7R-II? If you haven't, than you might be surprised at how far Sony has come in only that last two years. Try them out at the Alpa tables at NAB this year.

For the record, I shoot 50% of the time with my Rokinon /Canon cine primes and they of course are 100% manual lenses only. A wedding? sure...a play?,..sure! Corporate training videos?..sure! Concerts...of course! I just wouldn't use those lenses on sidelines to shoot run and gun football chaos like that.

And also for the record, I sincerely do respect you quite a bit, I'm only having some fun with this topic. (and others too...it's just the way I'm programmed.)

At NAB in two weeks, I'll gladly shake your hand with big smile on my face as I have always done before. Hopefully, you wont punch me this time!

CT ;-)
Old April 7th, 2017, 06:37 AM   #89
Vortex Media

"I'm not gonna hit ya! ..... I'm not gonna hit ya! .... The Hell I'm NOT!"
-- John Wayne
Old April 7th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #90
Obstreperous Rex

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here... this is the War Room!"
-- Peter Sellers

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds