PXW-Z150 first impressions - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 21st, 2016, 08:50 AM   #61
Trustee

Re: PXW-Z150 first impressions

The rear adapter rings are a "service part" from 16x9 inc. Their EXII adapter/converters all have the same rear threading, the only thing that distinguishes them is which rear ring they screw onto the back. The rear ring is held tight by a small allen screw.

If you search 16x9 EXII on eBay, you will see some of the various different types of rear mounting options they offered, such as the Panasonic HVX bayonet. I have 82mm, 72mm, and the Z5 bayonet rings, so I can mount my single EXII converter on a broadcast 2/3" lens, a JVC 650 threaded front end, or my Z150.

My advice if you cannot find a cheap Z5 ringed version of what you want, find a Z5 version that is unpopular and buy it at a bargain price just to use the Z5 bayonet ring. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:23 AM   #62
Major Player

A question on the high speed mode:
Does the Z150 save the high speed (120fps) clips as 1920x1080 120p, or does it roll it into a 30p format?
Same question for the AX53 as well.

If the file is saved as 120p (same as the AX100), then sound will be recorded also, right?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:32 PM   #63
Vortex Media

When you record at 120 fps with the Z150's High Frame Rate mode, the clip that results from shooting with that mode is identical to an ordinary clip when you ingest it into your NLE. Nothing special needs to be done to it. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be 30P. It could be 24P, 30P, or even 60P depending on the recording format that you've selected. No audio is ever recorded in the HFR mode or the regular S&Q Motion mode.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/z150
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:05 PM   #64
Major Player

Thanks Doug. I'm on the fence debating getting another AX100, an AX53 or the Z150.

Mark
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:53 AM   #65
Vortex Media

I don't know anything about the AX100 an AX53, but you will not be disappointed by the Z150. It is a full-featured professional camcorder in every way you'd expect.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:24 AM   #66
Major Player

Looking at some reviews of the Z150, Alister Chapman says in his review that the high speed mode clips are saved as interlaced files. Also, I've read that you can choose 60Mbps or 100Mbps for the HFR mode.

I find the interlaced part hard to believe, and I want to believe the 100Mbps info.

Any confirmation on this would be appreciated. I want the camera by Feb. so maybe I'll come across it in a Japan store by then. So far I haven't seen one to play with.

Mark
Old October 23rd, 2016, 05:42 PM   #67
Vortex Media

He's wrong.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:06 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Cole View Post
Doug Jenson just posted some footage he took with the camera up in Camden, Maine:
Sony PXW-Z150 4K Test Footage on Vimeo
Very nice video!

I was thinking about the NX100 as my entry level pro camcorder, but I noticed recently that there are very nice 4K IPS panel TVs coming at under 500$, and that has caused me to start getting second thoughts about 'future proofing' etc.

Trouble is, it is not easy to land jobs which can justify 4K-capable equipment in my area.
Decisions, decisions...

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:31 PM   #69
Vortex Media

Future proofing should always be at the forefront of any equipment decision.

And keep in mind that the Z150 offers a ton of features that aren't on the NX100r. So even though you might not need 4K today, there are many other things to consider. In my opinion it would be extremely short-sighted to get an NX100 today. I talk about the major differences between the two cameras in the first few minutes of this 41:00 video:

Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:01 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Thanks about the reference.
I was under the impression that the Z150 and NX100 shared the same sensor.

If I remember correctly, there are some limitations when recording in 4K:
- no clear zoom
- S&Q is limited to using only interlaced 1080i video (it would be wonderful to offer that capability in 4K, but I understand that the hardware is probably limited, which leads to another limitation regarding multiple streams etc.)

That said, I am trying to make a business case for either of these models (working in 4K will mean a need for a new computer as well, and a 4K TV for review, etc.- it is a whole chain of events)

Regards,
N.F.
PS. It was very helpful to see the Youtube video using automatic subtitles for non native English speakers like me. I think that Vimeo doesn't offer such a facility?
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:47 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fotis View Post
...If I remember correctly, there are some limitations when recording in 4K:
- S&Q is limited to using only interlaced 1080i video (it would be wonderful to offer that capability in 4K, but I understand that the hardware is probably limited, which leads to another limitation regarding multiple streams etc.)...
Nick,

The camera does not record S&Q in interlaced, it's all 1080 progressive.

You are in PAL land, so when you get this camera, you would go into the menu system and under OTHERS, you would have a choice there of 50i or 60i. For PAL, you select 50i.

This selection will determine the choices available for several other menu items, including S&Q. Once you have chosen 50i, when you go to your S&Q menu, you will have a choice of recording either 25P or 50P in XAVC HD or AVCHD formats, or 25P in MPEG HD 422 or MPEG HD 420.

The camera is going to actually shoot at 100fps, but then roll that into a slow-motion format per your recording mode choices. So if you were to select something with 25P, you would see a 4x slow-mo on playback.

If you had selected 60i in the OTHERS menu, the choices would be a little different, and it would be at 120fps.

Mark

Okay, I need a nap.
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Thanks for the clarification, I was under the impression that in S&Q was recording interlaced HD from other posts (maybe I confuse her with the NX100?).

I find it irritating that Sony didn't build a world camera, I would love to record 120 fps and roll back to 25 fps for example. And, if I had to shoot outside EU, that would probably force me to get a second camera.
Oh, and disabling 24p video for PAL users doesn't make much sense to me - if I wanted to shoot for cinema, would I be forced to buy an NTSC version?

Cheers,
N.F.
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #73
Major Player

This is a world camera, but you just have to choose in the menu 50i or 60i to go between PAL or NTSC.

If you are shooting S&Q mode in 60i mode (NTSC) you get a choice of 24P, 30P or 60P in XAVC HD or AVCHD formats, and 24P or 30P in MPEG HD 422 or MPEG HD 420. Aside from the S&Q mode, the format and frame rate choices are abundant.

I don't own this camera, but if I were going to shoot cinematic with it, I'd probably go with the XAVC QFHD (4K) recording format 2160/24p @100Mbps. I bet that looks pretty good.

It seems like a decent camera, but just wasn't ticking the right boxes for what I'd use it for. For one thing, I'd want more like a 20x zoom and this has 12x.

Mark
Old March 26th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #74
Regular Crew

I *think* (but I may be wrong) that you cannot have both 50 Hz and 60 Hz modes in the same body. I am pretty certain that the NX100 has this limitation.

Theoretically, the ClearZoom technology gives you extra reach (but in HD, I think, not in 4K). I think that I shall have to download the PDF manual for another round of study.

Cheers,
N.F.
Old March 26th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #75
Major Player

I'm confused by your statements that seem to be at odds with each other.

Quote:
I *think* (but I may be wrong) that you cannot have both 50 Hz and 60 Hz modes in the same body.
Quote:
I find it irritating that Sony didn't build a world camera.
It's all Greek to me :)
Attached Thumbnails
PXW-Z150 first impressions-pxw-z150-50i-60i-select.png  
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds