DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   PXW-Z150 Future firmware update wish list (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/531792-pxw-z150-future-firmware-update-wish-list.html)

Ilya Spektor May 6th, 2016 04:53 PM

PXW-Z150 Future firmware update wish list

I just got the camera, I like it a lot but I wish there are a few improvements via the future firmware update:

1. Assign buttons choice of XLR Set;
2. Assign button choice of Last Scene Delete;
3. Display of Focus Distance in Manual focus mode;
4. Choice of Clockwise/Counter Clockwise direction of Rotation in Manual Zoom mode (I'd like to have it opposite to the default setting...).

Any comments?

Cliff Totten May 6th, 2016 08:42 PM

Re: PXW-Z150 Future firmware update wish list

SLOG-2 !

Sony's Alpha division gives out SLOG-2 very freely today on many of it's cheapest models. Sony Pro is still very stingy with it. Why?

You can have SLOG-2 on a $1K Sony camera but NOT on a $3k "pro" camera.

Paul Anderegg May 8th, 2016 12:11 AM

My Z150 shows the distance in feet when I turn the ring.

I REALLY would like the option of assigning the zoom ring as GAIN selector. I keep accidentally zooming when trying to feel for focus or iris.........a nice smooth shockless gain ring would be an amazing advancement in camcorder technology. I BEGGED the designers of the original Betacams at a showcase in Los Angeles 2 decades ago, to add/allow a step up/down gain selector to their cameras. Took until the X70 to see that happen, now please add shockless gain like you on other current cameras. :-)

I would also like to see the next iteration of these cameras not loose custom button functionality when live streaming......some of us actually use that feature full time, and you are trying to sell QoS units for real ENG work right? Oh sorry, I can't expose because my zebras don't work, and I can't focus because zoom magnifier doesn't work, oops, cannot set white balance, because that doesn't work......can't change PP, ruh oh, maybe Ill just turn on color bars...oh, that doesn't work either, but that's OK, it's only a live TV broadcast we are doing.......are you listening Sony. :-P

Paul

John Nantz May 8th, 2016 10:54 AM

Hey Paul!

Congratulations for getting promoted to Trustee!

You’ve had a lot of really good and helpful posts, and enjoy reading ‘em … including this one.
Tell it like it is. Way to go!

This Z150 is on my radar.

Can a variable speed zoom (like on the consumer AX100) be added via firmware? Don’t use zoom a lot but when I do it’d be nice to creep if one want’s to.

Ilya Spektor May 8th, 2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg (Post 1914108)
My Z150 shows the distance in feet when I turn the ring...

Paul

Mine does it too, I meant, showing the distance in manual focus mode constantly, like in EX-1...

Ilya Spektor May 8th, 2016 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nantz (Post 1914133)
...Can a variable speed zoom (like on the consumer AX100) be added via firmware? Don’t use zoom a lot but when I do it’d be nice to creep if one want’s to.

A variable speed zoom is already available with the zoom rocker, only handle zoom switch can have a constant speed, which can be adjusted via Menu...

Paul Anderegg May 8th, 2016 07:18 PM

Handle zoom doesn't have the proper hardware for variability, it is a simple on off W and T switch.

It would be cool if the distance stayed on all the time.....I am CONSTANTLY racking focus just to get the data to display, which as you know in wide angle means going from macro to infinity by just breathing on the ring!

Paul

Antony Tsioukas May 11th, 2016 08:45 AM

If there is no CPU or chip limitation, to enable simulations video output (SDI and HDMI in the same resolution) or at least to give a SD composite video output when HDMI or SDI used.

This is something basic on older cameras and for me this destroy any possibility to buy it.

I like this camera and I want to use it for live event streaming and some clients they want to send a video output to videowallls. If there is no update

Great image quality, but a lot of limitations for this kind of camera, this is only field camera. I will wait unfortunately for the new Panasonic AG-UX180.

Ilya Spektor June 15th, 2016 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilya Spektor (Post 1914059)
I just got the camera, I like it a lot but I wish there are a few improvements via the future firmware update:

1. Assign buttons choice of XLR Set;
2. Assign button choice of Last Scene Delete;
3. Display of Focus Distance in Manual focus mode;
4. Choice of Clockwise/Counter Clockwise direction of Rotation in Manual Zoom mode (I'd like to have it opposite to the default setting...).

Any comments?

Adding to my list, after shooting a wedding:
5. XLR trim options for external mic on input1 / input2 should go down much lower, at least, to -36db (currently, only to -18db). In a very loud environment, like a wedding reception, there are noticeable distortions even on -18db. And again, I'd prefer to have XLR set as an Assign Button choice. When camera is mounted on a tripod, it is very inconvenient to reach the Menu...
6. Would be useful, at least, for me, to have a choice of also XAVC-S format. When shooting together with other cameras, having only this format option, it would be a simpler workflow in post-production (more software choices available..)