DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Update out V3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/532086-update-out-v3.html)

Donald McPherson June 16th, 2016 09:30 AM

Update out V3

Surprised no one mentioned yet.

Software: PXW-X70 : System Software Update V3.00 (Win + Mac) : Software/Drivers : United Kingdom : Sony Professional

David Dixon June 16th, 2016 09:54 AM

Re: Update out V3

There may be issues with the US installer - see my post on the other thread on this.

Donald McPherson June 16th, 2016 05:32 PM

Facebook forum are speaking about bricked cameras.

Jeff Beardall June 16th, 2016 07:12 PM

Update worked fine for me. Have run a couple hours of 100mb 4k to see if it overheats - so far so good.

Stephen Robinson June 16th, 2016 08:54 PM

I just completed the update from the US site. Worked without a hitch.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...eDownload.aspx

Lou Bruno June 17th, 2016 05:24 PM

Took a chance.....worked well. But should be noted I had to use the Sony USB cable. Go figure.

Paul Hardy June 18th, 2016 12:13 AM

3 questions..............

I've just read through the 'instructions' on the download page - can I confirm that 4k 60mbps is still available after the v3 upgrade?

Theres no mention of the XAVC 'file recovery after loss of power' fix that was mentioned in the pre-release notes - anyone got any ideas if this was dropped from the final version?

Anyone in the UK been brave enough to update yet & was everything smooth?

Thanks guys

David Dixon June 18th, 2016 12:57 AM

Yes, both 60 and 100 are options after the update.

And, you're right, I see no mention of the file recovery feature in the firmware update "manual."

Donald McPherson June 18th, 2016 01:46 AM

Took the gamble even though I don't have the 4k. Upgrade now done. All OK.
Took out SD cards and used mains power adapter.

Barry J. Weckesser June 18th, 2016 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dixon (Post 1916666)
Yes, both 60 and 100 are options after the update.

And, you're right, I see no mention of the file recovery feature in the firmware update "manual."

File recovery is an option in the new firmware - found it by scrolling through the menus.

Paul Hardy June 19th, 2016 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser (Post 1916670)
File recovery is an option in the new firmware - found it by scrolling through the menus.

Unfortunately that's not correct I'm afraid - I think you're referring to the 'Repair Image DB File'? If so that's for AVCHD & was there in v2.

I just ran a test recording in 4k & ripped out the battery - the result was an unrecoverable file just as with v2.

I've had this happen twice during a wedding ceremony before, where the camera locks up & the only option available is a battery removal reset - resulting in a video file that is only recoverable by using a data recovery service and a cost of £100-200.

I'm really disappointed in Sony for the incorrect pre-release firmware feature list - don't dangle a ****ing carrot & then take it away! Looks like I may need to look to another manufacturer for my next camera purchases if I can't rely on Sony equipment any more.

Tobias Meinken June 20th, 2016 09:59 AM

I don't understand, why the 4K upgrade is double the price here in Germany than in the US. Does anybody know of problems purchasing the upgrade key in the US and install on my X70 here in Europe?

Mike Griffiths June 21st, 2016 12:24 AM

I bought an upgrade from B+H for $250, received it yesterday and got the install key from ECspert without a problem, but when I tried to install it the X70 said 'no install key'. I spent a lot of time on email the ECSPert and later a support guy in the US. No one could understand why it would not instal. The camera is now in the Sony support centre in Chiang Miai. (I live in Thailand). So it seems there is a problem. If I get it resolved I'll let you know ( iMac, Transcend SDXC 64GB card, V 3.0)

Tobias Meinken June 21st, 2016 03:38 AM

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!
Sony can probably "see" where the camcorder was purchased, according to the serial number.

Noa Put June 21st, 2016 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias Meinken (Post 1916767)
I don't understand, why the 4K upgrade is double the price here in Germany than in the US.

In Belgium it's even worse, the 4K upgrade is 680 dollar or 600 euro, that does include 21% salestax so that's also something you need to take into consideration when comparing prices to other countries.