What's the fasted 10-bit speed with 3.0 update? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 28th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #1
Major Player

What's the fasted 10-bit speed with 3.0 update?

What is the current fastest write speed for 10-bit HD?
Reason I ask is I just ordered the 4k upgrade and will be installing the 3.0 firmware soon and need to order some new cards too. I know 4k is 100mb/sec, but I'll be mainly shooting 10-bit for the next series of work.

What cards to you recommend? I've been using Sony's

Thanks,
Old June 29th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What's the fasted 10-bit speed with 3.0 update?

The 10-bit part doesn't matter, the bitrate does when choosing a card.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goodsell View Post
What is the current fastest write speed for 10-bit HD?
HD on the X70 is 50 Mb/s. This is how fast it writes to the card. 10-bit, 4:2:2, etc., make no difference.

4k is 100Mb/s, so I would buy cards which can handle at least that much. This is 12.5 MB/s (little "b" is bits, big "B" is bytes, and a byte is 8 bits). This shouldn't be much of a challenge, but bear in mind card makers typically advertise MAX write speeds, whereas what we care about is MIN write speeds, because we don't want any dropped frames.

Features hidden inside the card (like RAM buffers, smarter controllers) affect how reliably cards can go at a given speed. So buy quality, reputable cards. (This is why XQD cards are pricier -- it's the extras they put in to guarantee a given MIN write speed.)
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was increased, so 50 it is. I'm going to get a card and try out 4k too.

Thanks for the info!
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

On the X70 you definitely need SDXC UHS-I U3 cards for 4K 100Mbps (also for 60Mbps as I remember)!!!

I use Sony´s SFG1UX2 in 128GB. I also have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB which is a tiny bit faster when transferring files to the computer, BUT it formats very long in the AX33 and AX53 (don´t remember if I tried it in the X70), but formats also fast in the RX100II.

If you can get the Sony U3 I would get the Sony.

EDIT: watching reviews at B&H I found that many people have problems with defect Sony cards. I have three and NO problems over one year usage now. I had problems with the Sandisk Extreme Pro in one reader before updating the firmware and with long formatting time at least in the AX33 and AX53. So nothing seems to be perfect. All cards should be original since they were bought from trusted sources.

Last edited by Roland Schulz; June 30th, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds