Manual iris on x70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old June 30th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Manual iris on x70

I recently had someone shoot a performance with me using an x70. I had my ex1r.
I was blown away by the image quality of her camera, albeit, she had it in avchd, so i undoubtedly can just imagine how good the xavc at 50mb looks.

Since i shoot totally manual, its very easy for me utitilizing the iris ring on my camera. since the 70 uses that small knob instead, how well will i adjust to that and is the dialdown gradual like the ex or do you see the stops incrementally each time.
also, doing all manual focus, i can only assume i would be able to adjust to the infinite focus ring on the 70. i was consideering this camera because of the overwhelming number of positive feedback on this forum and the x70 page on FB.
I will probably borrow one for a weekend and use it extensively first, but looks like im taking the plunge.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Go Cycle

Re: Manual iris on x70

Use EV instead.....very precise.
Old June 30th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Major Player

EV?
Please xplain lou
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:22 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Iris can be adjusted in 1/4 stops or (E)xposure (V)alues on the X70 using the continuously rotating wheel that is clickless.

You may also consider the Z150 that is nearly the same but has separate rings for focus, zoom and iris. You also get 120fps in FHD an the UHD upgrade is already included.

I still wonder how the X70 compares to the EX1 that I used once and were quite happy in regards of low light quality.
I did some maths and found that the pixel pitch of the EX1 is much bigger, but on the other side the prism reduces efficiency. On the X70 we have color filters that may compensate the prisms disadvantage.
The lens on the EX1 is about 1,25 stops brighter, but the X70 has Exmor R that gains about half a stop.
Software and A/D should be somewhat better on the newer X70, but in the end of my "theory" the EX1 may be about 1,5 stops better in low light than the X70.

Would be interesting to hear if this is true in real use.
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I find the iris pretty easy, and smooth, but I'm generally not riding the iris during a shot.

The focus is fine, very smooth and easy to use; the peaking is nice and adjustable to help you out. Also you have punch-in for focus, by a settable amount. The issue is that it's totally electronic focus control, so there's no chance of pulling focus to a pre-set mark.

For IQ, I've posted a few tests (HD, 4k, low light) which may be of interest:

https://vimeo.com/channels/832674
Atticus Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you do not need 10bit 4:2:2 internal HD recording, SDI out or UHD at only 30P ( after you buy the upgrade) then the NX100 has full manual control with 3 rings on lens for less money than the X70 and about the same price as an AX100. It looks to be a CX900 in a pro form factor. If you really want UHD then I would wait to see what the Panasonic AG-UX180 looks like in the fall with full manual control 20x zoom and UHD 60p in a world camera too. These will all be 1" sensor models, maybe even Sony's sensors!!! Who know by then Sony may decide to introduce a competitor.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds