Odd X70 / SD / Battery problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 6th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Odd X70 / SD / Battery problem

For many years I used Lexar CF cards with zero problems. When I switched to cameras requiring SD cards I bought Lexar SD cards......that is when my problems started. I contacted Lexar. They said I was too rough with their cards......bull hockey. I bought a SanDisc card as a trial and it worked perfectly.....both in my still cameras and video camera.
All my Lexar cards have been donated and my card wallet is now full of SanDisc cards. NO PROBLEMS!

BTW, there are lots of counterfeit cards on the web. I have been careful but I still got burned and this includes batteries. Even an educated buyer has difficulty telling the difference from a web photo and this includes Amazon. Now, I only buy from B&H. They are careful and only order from trusted suppliers.

Good luck

Last edited by Dan Gunn; August 6th, 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 03:29 AM   #17
Contributor

I recently ran some tests on some SDXC cards (some U1 and some labelled U3 but I think they are all UHS1 cards). I had a Sandisk UHSII reader, and I tested Transcend, Panasonic and Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro's. All were supposed to have similar specs but the Sandisk Extreme Pro and Extreme Plus comfortably outperformed all the others. They were the only ones to come close to their stated speeds of 95MB/s and 80MB/s in write tests. That said I haven't had an issue yet with the X70 and the Transcend card but I'm also not recording in 4k or using simul record.

If I were doing live events all the time and having issues with cards I think I'd be backing up to a third party recorder until I sorted it.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #18
Major Player

Smart (professional) thinking!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
If I were doing live events all the time and having issues with cards I think I'd be backing up to a third party recorder until I sorted it.
All fine & dandy when you know it's the cards & if you have multiple third party recorders - remember this ONLY ever happens when you change the battery mid-way through a wedding & doesn't always happen on the same camera and/or same cards.

I originally thought it was the batteries & purchased new batteries - problem persisted, so I then alternated cards & batteries between cameras - problem persisted, updated to software v3 & it was OK for 2-3 weddings, then the issue returned, so then I bought new cards - no issues yet, so problem sorted hopefully.
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #20
Contributor

I can't imagine how stressful that is. Hope it's smooth sailing from here on.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Had a 'full' wedding on Monday (long ceremony, long speeches, singing waiters, night time footage, fireworks etc. & the problem didn't appear, so I'm now assuming it was 99% down to an SD compatibility issue.

I did have another 'this accessory not supported' error though - anyone else had that on an X70? On previous Sony cams I've owned, that error only showed up when using fake batteries - however I'm positive they are genuine as they came from CVP in the UK & have never thrown up this problem until recently.

One ironic thing did happen at the wedding though - All the way through this problem with cards failing (luckily we've never lost any footage), we've always had a faithful 6 year old Panasonic camera locked off as a third / safety cam. Guess what....... The Panasonic camera failed for the first time in 6 years!!!!
Paul Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Paul, practicing "Murphy's Law" is not enough. I follow "O'brians Law". He is the guy that said "Murphy" is a damn optimist!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds