DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Odd X70 / SD / Battery problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/532262-odd-x70-sd-battery-problem.html)

Paul Hardy July 15th, 2016 09:36 AM

Odd X70 / SD / Battery problem

I have a really odd problem with the X70 to do with the dreaded 'recovering data' screen.

Pretty much every wedding I film, I change the battery just before the speeches (1/2 way through the days filming) the majority of the time when inserting a new battery the next few shots will fail & the screen will give the 'recovering data' error. After 3-5 failed shots it will carry on without problems for the rest of day. Now this ONLY happens when I change a battery after 1/2 days filming. so heres my troubleshooting so far.....

Thought I may have a dodgy battery - new battery & still had the problem at my next wedding.

Thought I may have a dodgy SD card - tried different SD cards, same problem.

Here's the weird thing - I thought I may have a dodgy camera, but I have 2 X70's & both have exhibited this problem.

It also NEVER happens at the beginning of the day, only after changing batteries.

Does anyone have any ideas why changing a battery can cause camera issues??

Note: This has happened with various combinations of batteries, SD Cards (all are 128gb Lexar 1000x SDXC u3 II's though) & cameras. I have checked all SD cards with H2Testw

Jeff Pulera July 15th, 2016 09:56 AM

Re: Odd X70 / SD / Battery problem

Are you positive the camera is fully shut down before removing old battery? Don't own the X70, but have used my friend's unit several times and I don't think there's an "Off" switch, just powers down when the LCD is shut and viewfinder is slid in, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Jeff

Donald McPherson July 15th, 2016 11:52 AM

There is an off switch on the side. I switch off when I remove / replace SD cards. I assume you are closing the LCD screen and pushing in the viewfinder.

Paul Hardy July 15th, 2016 11:21 PM

The cameras are definitely switched off when the batteries are removed. I leave them on Tripods & just drop the old battery out, insert the new & then flip open the screen & do a test shot - this is when I get the errors. Additionally it's not just the first shot that fails - it's normally the next 4 or 5 that fail, then the camera usually sorts itself out & carries on as normal.

I can tell which card slot the camera has the failure in, as when the problem occurs the card slot indicator on the screen will show that it's writing for far longer than the other slot (I always use simul rec) before it throws up the error. Please remember though that it has happened on different slots with different cards and different batteries on 2 different cameras.

I think my next port of call will be using a set of completely different SD cards to see if it's just the X70's not liking that particular type!

Warren Kawamoto July 17th, 2016 12:26 AM

Is it possible that when you put your camera on pause, then power down, the camera was still writing to the cards? Sounds like this is the problem. Try recreating the scenario with more tests.

1. Put your camera on pause, then power down as you normally do on your shoots. The problem may appear.
2. Put your camera on pause, WAIT 10 seconds, THEN power down. See if the problem appears.

Noa Put July 17th, 2016 01:06 AM

When I take out the battery I always put my ear to the side of the camera because you can hear when it actually shuts down which is not when you press the powerbutton but a few seconds later. I also have Sony's biggest battery which lasts me a few hours and is plenty to get me though an entire weddingday without having to worry about changing batteries.

Donald McPherson July 17th, 2016 01:43 AM

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with the way you switch the camera off or change the battery. Others would have the same problem. Could it be the internal battery. Is the clock at the right time? ( I assume there is one to keep the clock at the right time.) If it's internal then off to Sony.

Noa Put July 17th, 2016 02:05 AM

But he has 2 x70's who both exhibit the same problem so I think something else must be going on, can be that the battery is taken out before the camera is actually off, can be the type of cards or something we didn't think about.

Paul Hardy July 17th, 2016 10:03 PM

Had it happen again on Saturday - cameras were off for at least an hour before battery removal. I'm going to try different SD cards next weekend - I think that's my next port of call especially as no-one else had had a similar issue, that's the only thing it can be I think.

Rajiv Attingal July 23rd, 2016 10:17 PM

Hi,

One more try to isolate things before you change card.

Make sure your camera is switched off.

Remove the card.

Remove the battery.

Insert the new battery.

Switch on the camera.

Insert the card and continue.

As for media I use Sandisk Extreme Pro (64GB) 95 MBps with my camera.

No Issues so far.

Rajiv

Paul Hardy July 23rd, 2016 11:36 PM

I used my U3 128gb cards at a wedding on Friday & had the issue again on both cameras.

Had a wedding on Saturday & used old class10 32gb cards on one of the cameras & had no issues whatsover on either camera (although I ran out of space & had to put the 'suspect' cards back in later - again no issues). Saying that I did get a random ' This accessory is not supported' error, but a removal & reinsert of the battery sorted that out.

I think next weekend I'll run 2 different types of cards again & see if I get consistent results - looks like I'm in it for the long haul with the troubleshooting. I'll also try Rajiv's idea of temporarily removing the SD cards when changing the batteries - makes sense to isolate the cards & is worth a shot! Thanks!

Mark Goodsell August 2nd, 2016 04:41 PM

That's good to know that after 4-5 attempts that it starts working again though (just in case I come upon that problem -- I might not have tried it enough to get it working again). Thanks for the tip. Hope you get it resolved. Haven't seen it with my camera, but my shooting style is different than yours seems to be.

John Mitchell August 5th, 2016 10:25 PM

You mention you use simultaneous record. Could that be the issue here? Have you tried the same test on a single card? Are your cards matched?

John Mitchell August 5th, 2016 10:27 PM

Oh and are you using genuine batteries or aftermarket?

Paul Hardy August 6th, 2016 12:29 AM

Quick update - Last weekend had awful issues again & lost half of the speeches on one card on one cam with 'buffering' & 'this accessory is not supported' issues (thank goodness for simul record).

Purchased 4 new SD cards during the week & had a wedding yesterday - not a single glitch, so fingers crossed it's just a case of the X70's not liking a particular type of SD card (Lexar 128gb 150mbps SDXC u3 UHS-II).

I have another wedding today (Saturday) & on Monday, so if there are no more issues I know it's down to the cards - fingers crossed! However why it was only ever on battery change I'll never know?

ps. @John Mitchell - They're all matched cards & I always use genuine batteries from a reputable dealer, I can't really check if it's the simul record function though as I can't really risk losing data at a wedding. I've tried replicating the problem in the office & it never ever happens. Anyway hopefully the problems been sorted, but I'll let you all know on Tuesday!