Advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 17th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Dan, to clarify, the LCD screen still works when recording internal 4K on all of these Sony cams. What happens is that the onboard LCD goes black as soon as you add in trying to monitor via SDI or HDMI.

Pick any 2 of the following to be active when operating in 4K: Record to card / On-Camera LCD Monitor / On-Camera EVF / External Output

As far as I know, the cheapest camera that does more than 2 of these things at a time is the FS7. I'm unsure about the capabilities of the Z100 and AX1, but those are getting a little long in the tooth.
Whew! Thanks for the info Nate!

I'm really considering the Z150, but would like to get my hands on one first. But living in small town, it's next to impossible driving to a store and playing with any pro equipment. Looking into maybe renting one, but haven't found a vendor that has the Z150 available to rent out.
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM   #17
Major Player

Correction!!!

The X70 DOES give up it's flip out LED screen when recording in 4K AND putting out a SDI/HDMI signal. Only data appears on the screen....no video.

I was going on what my partner told me from his experience. He was wrong. Shortly I will try it myself to see what it does when recording in HD.

Very sorry for the erroneous statement.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Whew! Thanks for the info Nate!

I'm really considering the Z150, but would like to get my hands on one first. But living in small town, it's next to impossible driving to a store and playing with any pro equipment. Looking into maybe renting one, but haven't found a vendor that has the Z150 available to rent out.
You've got 30 days from B&H. Order one up and see how you like it. Worst case you'd be out of $20 shipping it back. It looks like a nice little camera.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/...rnExchange.jsp
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Nate! That might be the way to go.

Though now I'm re-thinking my video cam research, as I've just read that Paul's Z150 lens is broken!

Going to check out the DVX200 forum...
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #20
Trustee

Personally, I find the DVX200 VERY interesting (albeit a bit heavy perhaps...). Especially since they revamped the color science with the firmware update. I think the footage from that camera looks quite good, and the sensor and lens combo hit a certain sweet spot.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 08:24 AM   #21
Contributor

If you can afford it I'd go with the FS7. It's nearly as good as an F5 and in some respects better. Either that or a second hand F5. (Not FS5).
Esp if you consider yourself an artist the FS7 is really fully featured, its a pro camera and it can be teamed with a bunch of different lenses and the colour,while not ARRI is right up there.
I'm still shooting with an fs700 and an odyssey 7q+ and that combination is excellent too but the internal recording is average.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:28 PM   #22
Trustee

I am back to using my Z150, cannot get it to replicate the problem. Sony says 1 year parts AND labor, so i will just run it until it starts misbehaving again. The Z150 is by far my FAVORITE Sony small form factor camera!

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #23
Major Player

I have spent a LOT of time studying the Sony cameras and have settled on the Z150. Very few negative comments but lots of positives.

Now where did I hide my piggy bank?
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds