X70 Shotgun Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old September 30th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #1
New Boot

X70 Shotgun Mic

Ok, so I found out the hard way that my Rode NTG-2 is absolutely terrible with my new X70. Sold my EX-1R to buy this camera as I prefer the smaller size. Love the 1" chip and the footage seems top notch. Just sold my NTG-2 as I could not make it work without "noise" in the recording. Found a few posts that referenced this. Ordered the Audio Technica AT875R. It will be delivered in a few days. What are a few mics under 300.00 that anyone has good experience with? First time with any camera I have ran into this type of noise issue.
Kenny Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 04:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: X70 Shotgun Mic

Personally i would never put a shotgun on the camera again. I had one once and thought it was annoying when the sound changed so dramatically each time i panned the camera due to the very nature of a shotgun mic. I used the Audio Technica AT835ST and had the same issue when i used it as a mono mic as well.

Today i use the Audio Technica AT4041, a cardoid condenser mic. Aim for a cardoid mic rather than a shotgun is my advice. Shotgun mics are great, but not when mounted on a camera when doing run and gun shooting. :)
Old October 2nd, 2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Trustee

The AT875r is a very good short shotgun mic, with a hot output and mild off-axis coloration.

I have used one as the ambient mic on a fixed camera for the last 4 years at a large event that features music and a lot of audience applause. Really I would have said this was going to be an unacceptable way of getting a good ambient track, but after listening to the first test I was very surprised at how nice this mic sounds. This venue has an excellent sound system and great acoustics, and I know this is partly contributing to the success of this mic in this situation, but I have heard other mics in the same situation that still sounded terrible.

For most situations I mount the AT875r with the interference slots on the top and bottom of the mic rather than on the left and right. I "feel" this gives better performance when I want a wider reception of sound left and right, with the sounds I want better rejection (hard floor reflections below or HVAC noise from vents above) located the same direction as the slots. I haven't done any stringent testing of this idea though, just listened and felt it was giving better results.

However, as already stated many times on this forum, the camera is a terrible place for the mic. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil most times.

So I would wait and test out your AT875r when it arrives and determine if that is satisfactory.

If you do want a wider pattern mic like a cardioid, I would recommend the AT4021 although it's $349.

In any case, you must also use good wind protection to reduce the noise from air currents, rapid camera movements or breezes.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Trustee

Also the AT875r comes with two rubber O-rings to fit in larger diameter camera mic mounts.

I find these O-rings to be insufficient in giving proper support.

So I cut a rectangle from a thin neoprene mouse pad in the correct size to wrap around the mic and take up the extra space in the camera's mic mount.

Place the grippy rubber side of the neoprene against the mic body, and if the top surface of the mouse pad is somewhat slick the mic mount's rubber interior surface will still grip it sufficiently if you have sized the piece correctly.

Using an accessory shockmount in the camera's top shoe is also a good way to go. It gives greater reduction of handling noise and gets any wind protection on the mic higher out of frame if using a wide-angle lens.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #5
New Boot

Thank you much for the excellent replies! Especially regarding the O-rings and the mount. My AT875 did arrive yesterday. From the short testing I did last night, the "noise" is gone. It seems to be a great choice for an inexpensive mic. In my field, on camera mounting is my only real option. However, I do use an Azden wireless pack in conjunction in some cases. I think I have my problem solved. I guess the Rode just wasn't meant for use on this camera. Very unusual but a cheaper fix at least.
Kenny Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #6
Trustee

Sony sells the mic spacers they supply with their shotgun mics as a parts item. It's on the Sony ServicePlus or whatever it's called website. I will look for the part number, it was posted on here like a year ago! Like $11USD?

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds