X70 external battery - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 17th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: X70 external battery

Hi Chris

We might be talking at somewhat cross purposes.
I had read your earlier comments about using a 970. My understanding was that you used the 970 and fed in thought the power port, leaving the regular battery in place.

What I was wondering was having a dummy plate, shaped as the regular battery and placed in the battery port. I thought that by having the negative, positive and common connections terminals soldered to wiring going to a "plate" that held 970 type battery , such as I alluded to on eBay. In this way the camera would be directly connected to the 970 and its onboard chip, thus allowing it to "talk" directly to the camera. The only potential problem I see is if the 970 chip does not work the same as a fv100 type chip.

Of course the first problem is finding a dummy battery or making one, say by cleaning out an old fv100, and soldering the wiring in. This would then be similar to what is offered by Atomos to other systems.

Comments/thoughts?

Cheers
Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Major Player

Re: X70 external battery

I have a LARGE Sony BP-L90A V lock battery (actually I have six of these monsters) that I use on a plate which is mounted to a shoulder support. Serves as ballast and power. At the top, I have mounted a Koolertron (Amazon) that connects to the plate with a D-tap plug and gives four D-tap ports out.

I did cut the connector off of a X70 power supply (eBay) in order to get a plug to feed power to the input of the X70.

I am still working on a DC to DC voltage transformer to correct the voltage....not just for the X70. I saw what was available on eBay at a great price but I am afraid of frying the X70. I think I need a voltage "regulator".

Photos will be posted when the rig is finished.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds