Frustrating Battery Error That Cleared Itself Up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old July 10th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Frustrating Battery Error That Cleared Itself Up

Just a story in case others experience a similar error:
I was in remote China and suddenly the X70 would turn on for a few moments, then freeze and go to an error message 'Incompatible Battery' warning, telling me to 'Insert a Sony Approved Battery' ....something along those lines. I've been using aftermarket batteries for years never having a problem until this time. It turns out I HAD a Sony battery with me ...but it didn't make any difference either. I thought I was screwed, I didn't have a backup camcorder. The bummer was it occurred at the moment I needed to get shots I went there to get, I wouldn't be able to recreate. Really torqued me off. I captured what I could with a DSLR which turned out nice, but wasn't 4k.

I tried everything I could think of, but finally I resorted to the ole, leave it be with the battery unhooked for a while trick and it eventually started working after about 45 minutes. No problems for the rest of the trip. I attribute it sitting in a cool hotel room, then air conditioned car on the way there ....it sat in my bag but apparently didn't accumulate to the high humidity of the region fast enough and probably built up condensation internally causing the error. After sitting a while and (presumably) drying out, it resumed normal operation. Used it daily after that with no troubles. Moral of the story, if you see this error, perhaps let it acclimate.
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Frustrating Battery Error That Cleared Itself Up

For good measure, I would clean the battery terminals on the battery and camera...I use an old toothbrush for these things. :-)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 02:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I had the same issue years back with a third party battery, got a warning about not using a original battery and the camera just shut down midst recording, luckily I saw it happening as it was one of my unmanned camera's during a wedding ceremony. After that I only used original batteries and have not had a problem, original batteries also not only last longer but they give very precise remaining batterylife.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I too only stay with manufacturers batteries. Expensive camera and important recordings why take the risk. Never had a problem in years of use with Sony and now Panasonic.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds