s-log and new Sony x90 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 13th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: s-log and new Sony x90

Cleaner and sharper and such for regular WYSIWYG REC709 shooting. I have not ventured into S-LOG on the Z90 yet and HDR hold no interest for me at all at this time.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; October 13th, 2017 at 05:04 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #17
Trustee

Will be very interesting to see how the built in SLOG2 LUT's in FCPX work with these new features.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #18
Trustee

I strongly suspect that all three of these new cameras use the same RX10-III, RX10-IV, RX100-V and Z150
image sensor. Its the latest stacked RS BSI with super fast readout. Who knows if they changed the processing since the Z150. Maybe they made even further noise reduction improvements over the Z150?

This really begs the question; "Just how much can you squeeze out of a 1inch-type sensor"? Whatever that is, Sony seems to be using and processing every darn photon they can get!

Doug, if you can, try to measure the dynamic range you are seeing. (if you have charts)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #19
Vortex Media

Sorry, I don't have any DR charts. Just the normal Chroma duMonde charts and stuff like that.
Old October 14th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #20
Trustee

:-D

How I made my own Dynamic Range Test Chart - www.similaar.com
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Hey Paul, I appreciate the ingenuity it took to create your own chart but DR is not something I'm interested in measuring. The camera is whatever the camera is.

A DR chart might answer someones's questions about their camera's capabilities or help them make a purchase decision, but it won't help me create a PP or provide any usable information about the camera that I can't see on my regular WFM and monitors. If you told me the camera has 8 stops, 10, stops, or 20 stops of dynamic range it wouldn't make any difference to me at all in the operation of the camera. All that matters is squeezing as much performance out of the camera as I can with whatever limitations it has.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds