Test footage from the PXWZ90 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old October 24th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Test footage from the PXWZ90

Yeah, you could just tell people; "Why use a 50/50 "hybrid" log when you could just use "full" log?'

I mean really,...it's standard rec709 from the bottom to 60-70 IRE then it takes a log-ish turn and the gamma compression kicks in all the rest of the way up.

It's designed to be broadcast over existing systems with no serious trouble and for new HLG TV's to expand back out above 60-70 or whatever it is on the layout side.

Yeah, kinda "gimmicky" I guess.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #32
Trustee

HLG, SLOG, blah blah...I think we can all agree that Sony is slapping the "HDR" label on these cameras in order to sell customers on features they would not otherwise understand. Try to remember that these cameras are rated in "lux" not "f10@2000 sensitivity", do not specify signal to noise ratios, and have full auto buttons. The type of shooter who would even use autofocus routinely, would not really be aware of what or how to use HLG or SLOG, so I think slapping HDR on them makes sense...they are selling the "HDR" feature you would see on a Smartphone, just the Sony prosumer way of saying it's got more dynamic capability.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #33
Regular Crew

HDR and HLG would be a nice thing for consumers - if it is real HDR/HLG that it currently is not.
Actual TVs with HDR make a difference, the DR they can present is advanced without a doubt. 10bit or more makes sense not to go into visible banding. HLG is the compromise to be able to watch material on both HDR and SDR TVs. So far, but it really should be in 10bit as required by the standards (BT.2100...).

When more post processing comes in the game I would always prefer S-LOG on cameras from 10bit up or a cinegamma (1) for cameras with only 8bit. S-LOG shows to much compression in the "usual" shades and recovering needs to high scaling factors, so smoothness of graduation suffers. On the a6500 for example S-LOG2/3 also doesnīt make up really more DR than CINE 1 if you have a deeper look. S-LOG can make sense for 10bit or higher.

...but thatīs all not about the Z90 ;-).
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #34
Trustee

Let's not forget how much processing power and playback limitations there are currently for 10 bit 4K HDR material...we are talking prosumer/consumer grade cameras here. I do not even think my GTX1050 can output 10 bit signals, although they seem to be promising upgrades soon.

I shoot 10 bit XAVC HD and I have yet to actually be able to VIEW the files on my PC or Mac in 10 bit glory...

Paul
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #35
Regular Crew

You are editing and outputting on a GTX??? I always had problems with tearing and wrong colors and so on.
I use a BMD Intensity Pro 4K. Using EDIUS is not a problem doing 10bit.
Roland Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:42 AM   #36
Trustee

I don't really edit, I grade and trim...on a Macbook Pro. To me, this whole Z90 HDR thing seems like noting more than an NLE "knee" type effect.

What is HLG and what is it supposed to be used for? | XDCAM-USER.COM
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:23 PM   #37
Trustee

Doug, anything more to report on your Z90?

Really interested in your take on this. I have the NX80 on pre order. I have no need for 1080 SDI anymore as I mostly to 4k today.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:46 PM   #38
Vortex Media

Nothing new to report. Sony needed to get the demo back so i'm waiting for my own Z90 to arrive in December, or maybe to get another demo from Sony again later this month.
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #39
Major Player

Sony, does not
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #40
Trustee

Not??........Not what?

What "not" ?

CT
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #41
Major Player

I started a post but then thought better of it. Tried to delete it but no luck. I had to leave 10 characters...best I could do.

Sorry
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #42
Vortex Media

I'll finish it for you . . .
Sony does not make bad camcorders. That's what you were gonna say, right?
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #43
Major Player

Doug I was going to say that Sony should hand deliver a Z90 to you. Your reviews stimulate many, many sales. Really cheap advertising for Sony. Yes, Sony does not make bad cameras. I have seven of them and have yet to have a problem. Of course the X70 is a quirky little rodent.
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #44
Vortex Media

I guess it would be hard to refuse a free camera if Sony offered one, but then I guess I wouldn't feel as free to speak my mind when there are things that I don't like.
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #45
Equal Opportunity Offender

If we could only get a proper translation in to Japanese of "The Doug has spoken." :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds