DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony FDR AX700 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-4k-ultra-hd-handhelds/534892-sony-fdr-ax700.html)

Paul Newman November 1st, 2017 08:49 AM

Sony FDR AX700

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone has had there hands on one of these - I was looking for an opinion on the internal HD recording quality and video noise levels compared to the AX100 and the AX53 (which has brilliant HD compared to the AX100)

thanks

Paul :-)

Cliff Totten November 1st, 2017 12:10 PM

Re: Sony FDR AX700

I believe the AX100 had the original 1st generation 1 inch-type sensor model. This would have been the same as the original RX10. I believe this is also what the X70 is based off.

Today, we have the stacked, BSI sensor with onboard RAM and blazing fast read out. This is what the RX10-III, IV, Z150 and Z90 are based on.

When I compared my Z150 to my X70, I remember seeing quite a noise and image improvement with the Z150 vs. X70. The Z150 is noticeably cleaner in higher gain situations. I dont know if this was because of the latest gen sensor or if its because read out and processing is cleaner. I do suspect that Sony's noise reduction on these latest 1 inch-types are really optimized very well. They are acheiving strong noise reduction while still maintaining excellent image detail. Sony has the noise reduction artifacts down to a minimum.

I really expect the Z90, NX80 and Ax700 to all be at least as good as the Z150, if not better.

Sony somehow keeps squeezing more and more and more image out of those little chips. I dunno how they do it!

Paul Anderegg November 1st, 2017 02:13 PM

The X70/Z150 1" sensor line noise reduction, is notably absent of vertical banding and striping of the noise at high gain, something which really plagues even the expensive 1/3" 1/2" and 2/3" full size ENG cameras.

Paul

Donald McPherson November 2nd, 2017 01:14 AM

People here go on about the noise difference between the Z150 and the x70 sensors but surely this has a lot to do with the different lenses.

Cliff Totten November 2nd, 2017 05:36 AM

The X70 and Z150 have the same lens specs. (Aside from the control rings)

Eugen Brinzoiu November 3rd, 2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1938115)
I believe the AX100 had the original 1st generation 1 inch-type sensor model. This would have been the same as the original RX10. I believe this is also what the X70 is based off.

Today, we have the stacked, BSI sensor with onboard RAM and blazing fast read out. This is what the RX10-III, IV, Z150 and Z90 are based on.

When I compared my Z150 to my X70, I remember seeing quite a noise and image improvement with the Z150 vs. X70. The Z150 is noticeably cleaner in higher gain situations. I dont know if this was because of the latest gen sensor or if its because read out and processing is cleaner. I do suspect that Sony's noise reduction on these latest 1 inch-types are really optimized very well. They are acheiving strong noise reduction while still maintaining excellent image detail. Sony has the noise reduction artifacts down to a minimum.

I really expect the Z90, NX80 and Ax700 to all be at least as good as the Z150, if not better.

Sony somehow keeps squeezing more and more and more image out of those little chips. I dunno how they do it!

Cliff
How about the RX10 ii(2) sensor?