tripods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old December 19th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Trustee

tripods

heres a question what are you guys using fro tripods these days? I always used bogen/manfrotto I never updated my tripods over the years just my cameras. I used the 3246 with larger heads. I be willing to be its overkill by todays standards id like to go lighter even looking at this sony with a built in controller. Any thoughts? my biggest camera is a Panasonic UX-180 now
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: tripods

Without knowing more about your specific needs, you'll only get some general answers regarding what each person's "favorite" or current tripod is.
It helps to know:
1) Budget
2) Type of shooting you mostly do
3) Max weight you'll be putting on the sticks (camera isn't always the only item people throw on. My rig is 5lbs, but with a long lens, external monitor, wireless receiver and light it can easily hit 12 lbs.
4) Travel requirements - are you taking this on the road? Mostly studio? Is travel weight/length a consideration? Height requirements?

I've got 4 tripods in my collection, some are extra tall and beefy for heavy rigs and shooting over the crowd. Others are travel friendly CF tripods that fold smaller and weigh 1/3 as much.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I be willing to be its overkill by todays standards . . .
I highly doubt it. Almost no tripod or head is overkill unless you simply can't afford better.
But like Oren says, it is impossible to offer any recommendations at all without a lot more information.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; December 20th, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Trustee

I use a small Sachtler Cine/DSLR tripod. If I were to purchase new the Cartoni Focus 8 looks nice for the price, $500 brand new.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Well I use this now
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
With a Bogen 316 head capable of holding 32 lbs. between the 2 weighing about 20 lbs. for a camera that weighs 8 max.
I do weddings and when I got those I was using huge S-VHS cameras, I never looked outside of bogen/mafrotto for my needs I always thought those lightweight consumer pods were just for home movies but now they seem like they MIGHT be a nice fit for something like a Sony FDR-AX100
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds