Detail settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old February 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Trustee

Detail settings

So, been spending a lot of time learning the detail menu of my large shoulder mount Sony cameras, and though I would see if I could take what i learned and put it into the smaller cameras. Obviously, the menu settings are different, naming conventions are not the same. So here is what I found so far, feel free to chime in with any knowledge you may have on the specific settings.

B/W Balance: This appears to perform a synchronized White/Black limit adjustment. On the larger cameras, Black and White limit specifies the WIDTH of the black and white edge enhancement added to the edge of contrasting objects. On the larger cameras, the larger the number or value, the thinner the black or white edges will be. On my Z90 in testing, Type 1 provides the thinnest edging, and Type 5 provides the thickest edging. I would like to see how detail set to 0 with type 1 looks in 4K.

Highlight Detail: This appears to be what is called Knee Aperture on the larger Sony cameras. At first I thought it was what they call Frequency, but the only "detail enhancement" I could see was in areas I pushed into the knee, such as rough flat metal allow objects. Frequency is supposed to boost high frequency video levels, bringing crisper detail to brighter objects, but unless I shoved a patch of something hard into the knee, I saw no high frequency boost.

Crispening: This can be used to reduce detail enhancement in shadows...0 allows detail enhancement of dark gain noise, 1 takes the edge off of the shadow noise and grain, and the larger the numerical value, the higher up the shadow IRE range detail enhancement is taken away from.

Level: Beats me...could be what the big cameras call Level Depend, meaning the higher the value, the brighter the signal level in the picture must be before detail is applied. On a big camera, if you dial the Level Depend down, your shadows start to go all soft and muddy. I dials this Level up and down, and never could see any differences, and I was testing everything at detail level +7 to emphasize changes.

So what is the point of this post? Well, there is lot's of instruction on how to mess with the detail settings on big cameras, so if you know the "proper" pro naming for those functions, you can better learn how to adjust them. For now I am a TYPE 1 B/W Balance guy...going to see if simply thinning the edge enhancement will take the harshness off of my 720p footage,

See below links for better understanding of these functions.

Detail Correction, Crispening, Aperture and Image Sharpness | XDCAM-USER.COM

Picture Profiles - Crispening _ How to clean up your image. | XDCAM-USER.COM
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds