AX53 Tripod choices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old March 5th, 2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Major Player

AX53 Tripod choices

What are u guys using for this cam
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 05:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: AX53 Tripod choices

Hi Jim,

I mostly shoot handheld with the AX53, otherwise it goes on a Sachtler FSB-4 head, mounted to Gitzo Series 3 CF Systematic legs, with the 75mm adapter ring. Total for this setup is $1,804. Works good, lasts a long time.

If I were in need of a replacement system, I would keep the FSB-4 but either get the extra long version of the Gitzo sticks, for $100 more, or consider getting the new Sachtler Flowtech legs. With the FlowTech, you wouldn't need the 75mm adapter ring and you get an improved leg release/locking system. I frequently wish I had a tripod that goes up to about 70-80 inches though, and the FlowTech is around 60".

No issues with the FSB-4. I have never come across one of those Vinten Vision Blue heads, so never had a play with them, but heard good things. On the other hand, I have played around with the Sachtler Ace stuff and will gladly hump the extra weight of the FSB-4 for the added performance and features.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds