“Spare Room Concert Series 3” at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old July 10th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

“Spare Room Concert Series 3”

Hello all,

This clip is an idea I had that was inspired by NPC’s “Tiny Desk Concert Series” on YouTube. On one hand it could be seen as an experiment with multi-cam setups and minimal lighting, on the other it is a concept of raw talent being captured (and edited to taste).

It is a “mini concert” of some piano-ish performances by myself.

Cameras used include three Sony cameras (AX100, AX700, AX53) and the Yi 4k+.

I also used 1 LED Light positioned over the keyboard but out of the shots, and I tried to block out a lot of the background by use of black drapery.

I have produced other videos in the past, but this is probably my best effort.

Comments welcome, but above all I hope you enjoy it.

See if you can guess which cameras were used on which shots ����

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; July 10th, 2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: small detail
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 09:01 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: “Spare Room Concert Series 3”

The shooting, the editing, and, of course, the music- all well done.
Bravo!
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert! Much appreciated :D

When I did this, I ended up spending most of the time in planning the “set design” and lighting (which took about an hour vs 30 mins actually recording). It’s crazy when doing these things alone! Coming to think of it, I’ve also got one of those remote-controlled power pan-tilt head things but haven’t used it in a while as it is too much stuff to set up and shoot alone. (Actually - I might consider using it as well in my next project (depending on the length of the final recording for the new project)...)

All shots were recorded at 4k25p, and cropping effects were used in post, but I’m still ok with the result. (720p final render).

The music sideline is a hobby - I play at community events accompanying local artists etc. I’m trying to advertise my video services too (which also started off as a hobby several years ago when HD first came out).

Bry
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2019, 09:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ok folks.

This is the latest in the series 😀. The differences here are twofold:

1) I had some old actioncams lying about (2 x Sony AS100v), and so I had the idea of making this production using nothing but actioncams. So in the end, I used:

2 x Sony AS100v’s (front side shots)
2 x Sony X1000v’s (overhead and right side-on view shots)
1 x Sony X3000r (front shot)

2) This is a performance with songs flowing into each other non stop 😀.

Now, whether I had been successful is dependant on how the end result is perceived. One thing I’ve learned the hard way is that the X3000 when recording in UHD is not recommended for long takes - Mine overheated after 36 minutes 😮. Also the lowlight quality on the AS100’s is not great, so much so that even with Neat used it still looks a bit flakey, but I still have them because they are dependable for long takes 🙂. Neat was used on the other cameras too, but this was so that they looked consistent. (The X1000s still looked good given the lighting in this video, but still used Neat anyway).

Anyway, enough with the rambling. Hope you enjoy this 😀.

Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds