New Sony A7s to shoot 4K video - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old September 13th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #136
Trustee

Re: New Sony A7s to shoot 4K video

Someone is saying that the HDMI cable itself is changing the 0's and 1's that are passing through it?

That doesn't make any sense to me. The signal is either there or not there.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #137
Major Player

Does this also have influence on the low light abilities?

I am considering to use the an a7s for extreme low light shoots for a wildlife documentary, with a Shogun.
Old September 16th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #138
Major Player

I think the new 24-135 F4 zoom that kits FS7, should be bundled with this camera instead. I can't understand why Sony doesn't promote it. Maybe there is a FF video camera on the wing...
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #139
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
I think the new 24-135 F4 zoom that kits FS7, should be bundled with this camera instead. I can't understand why Sony doesn't promote it. Maybe there is a FF video camera on the wing...
The 28-135 won't be shipping until December, and the FS7 is still a month away I guess. They were announced at the same date so bundling them makes more sense. Bundling a lens with a camera that costs less than the lens itself also makes less sense.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Lovely evening at the Alderwood Mall. Sony A7s Full 35MM sensor, hand held, tack sharp RAW, in very low light.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sony A7s to shoot 4K video-moon-over-mall-2sml.jpg  
Michael Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #141
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
The 28-135 won't be shipping until December, and the FS7 is still a month away I guess. They were announced at the same date so bundling them makes more sense. Bundling a lens with a camera that costs less than the lens itself also makes less sense.
I have purchased the FE 24-70mm and the 70-200mm Zeiss/Sony lenses and they are fantastic. Soon I will get the 16-35mm lens. Bottom line is they auto focus stunning video and great Photos.
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #142
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stevenson View Post
Bottom line is they auto focus stunning video
I guess it depends on your shooting style - I personally still prefer manual focus for video. Rented the 24-70 for a week and the manual focus is terrible, borderline unusable in my opinion. The weird mapping of rotation speed to focus speed results in a lot of hunting for the right focus, which is what you're trying to avoid by focusing manually in the first place. If they can provide an option for linear mapping of the rotation to focus it might be better, but even then slow focus changes exhibit visible stepping of the focus point rather than smooth transitions. For the price (and specifically for video use) I'd rather have the rokinon 24/35/85 t/1.5 cine prime set - certainly not as convenient as a single zoom, but far better manual focus plus much faster apertures and useable with a follow focus.
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #143
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
If they can provide an option for linear mapping of the rotation to focus it might be better
Don't all lenses change focus distance on a logarithmic scale?
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #144
Major Player

Hmm, hadn't thought about that, but I guess that's true. That would be fine though - my point is that it would be better if sony provided a way for the focus ring rotation to map to the focus change in a manner which matched what you'd expect from a true manual lens.

The way the sony manual focus works is that if you turn the ring quickly - even a very short distance - the focus point jumps dramatically. If you turn it slowly it changes extremely slowly. This is frustrating because what typically happens (at least for me) is you start to turn the lens and the focus jumps farther than you expected, overshooting the target. Then you react to this jump by slowing down as you try to pull the focus back, but the speed drops so slow that it takes too long to pull it back. Finding just the right speed to turn it at is extremely difficult, and it feels fidgety. You can't really practice pulls, because if you don't maintain the same speed it'll be different each time - it's fairly easy to repeat turn angles, but difficult to match an exact rotation speed. To make it worse, when it drops down to the very slow speeds you can see it visibly changing focus in steps - it's subtle, but noticeable.

I get what they were trying to do from a technical standpoint - they idea is clearly to let you jump quickly to an approximate distance and then provide much finer control as you refine the focus point. That's probably a great way to work if you're using manual focus for stills where all that matters is the final focus point. It's just not good at all for video work where the focus moves are part of the shot and you need to be able to predictably and repeatedly execute smooth, controlled focus moves.
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #145
Regular Crew

I see what you're saying. The ring itself isn't locked to the internals but rather controls them electronically. Sounds like that'd make pulling focus very frustrating.

I've got my eye on those new Zeiss Loxia lenses. Just ordered an a7S which is why I'm here. Very excited to have this as my new b-camera to my C300 and finally putting the HDSLR revolution behind me with the sale of my 5DIII. Long live the 5D.
Graham King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #146
Inner Circle

Now you're talking. Loxia's on an A7s, that's a great combo. I got to shoot with some on the FS7 and they produced some really amazing images.
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #147
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
So what is it now, is there or is there not? :)

The camera has rolling shutter and it can be bad depending in which situation you use it, it doesn't even have to be a fast pan like this example shows:
Sony A7S - rolling shutter - S-LOG 2 - internal 1080p recording on Vimeo
Shooting in APS-C reduces the RS though but it will never be completely gone. RS should not be a problem for most of us depending on your shooting style but it can make the camera useless if you for instance shoot a soccer match with a telelens and follow the players while panning, but then again, you should use a videocamera for this purpose and not a full frame photocamera.
Ouchy! :-)
Old November 24th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #148
Major Player

Rolling shutter is supposed be be less using the APC mode on the A7s.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR