DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/)
-   -   Sony A7 improvised shot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-alpha-mirrorless-dslr/520575-sony-a7-improvised-shot.html)

Rafael Lopes December 11th, 2013 02:03 AM

Sony A7 improvised shot

Improvised shot on location with a Sony A7, a pentax 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 2.0
The audio was captured live with a rode videomic pro.

(I don't know how to embed...I tried the same code on another website and it worked)

Alister Chapman December 16th, 2013 04:21 AM

Re: Sony A7 improvised shot

Looks nice if a little over exposed in quite a few shots. Did you try reducing the EV? Also the sound sync is out which is distracting, I suspect this is just due to the way it's been edited rather than a camera issue. The colour grade makes it difficult to judge the cameras real performance, but the clip does hint at what's possible with these little cameras. Thanks for posting.

Rafael Lopes December 17th, 2013 07:39 AM

To be honest the shot was completely and totally improvised. I got there and shot it as a favor for this musician who had composed this song just some hours earlier and had only one hour to shoot the entire clip. At first I was going to go with a high key look where the guy would be properly exposed and most of the rest would be blown out, but I wasn´t liking it so I ended up changing my plans. The sound that I used was captured live directly into the camera using a videomic pro, but since the duration of the guys´s performance would range from 2 minutes up to 5min, it was really hard to sync in post.

Other than the hard conditions, it was a true pleasure shooting with the camera. It´s just a bit bigger than the Nex-7 but it´s much better ergonomically, it has much better menus, audio control, audio monitor bars, headphone output, it doesn´t overheat like the NEX7 did. I´m very happy with the camera...but I have yet to shoot with an AF lense. I´ve been using only adapter Pentax lenses.

I do have to point out that I do like 85% stills and 15% video :) For both I´m beyond happy.

Tom Abray December 19th, 2013 07:13 AM

It looks good!

I have a question. If you are shooting video and looking through the evf are you able to push the camera right against your eye/face in order to help stabilize it?

Rafael Lopes December 19th, 2013 07:24 AM

That is sort of an odd question :) I don't think I've ever tried stabilizing the camera with my face. I guess you can try that as much as you could try it with any other DSLR.

Tom Abray December 19th, 2013 07:35 AM

Ha.:)

But the A7 has an evf. On most other dslrs you need to use the screen when shooting video, so obviously you can't be pushing it right up to your eye. That's why I ask.

Rafael Lopes December 19th, 2013 07:37 AM

The NEX6 and the NEX7 also have the EVF. There's also an external EVF for some of the latest generation NEX cameras.
Like I've said, I've never tried that, but I can tell you the EVF is awesome :)

Rafael Lopes December 25th, 2013 04:18 PM

Tried a different post treatment:

Dave Blackhurst December 25th, 2013 06:07 PM

Thought the first was more ethereal, more with the feel of the music?

Craig Chartier May 10th, 2014 09:58 PM

Good job. I too like the look of the first one. I feel it goes better with the song.

Unregistered Guest May 28th, 2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1825662)
Thought the first was more ethereal, more with the feel of the music?

Yeah, I agree.

Nice editing, looks like the sync to the audio is very accurate. In fact, it looks like multicam shots.