Sony A7 improvised shot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old December 11th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Trustee

Sony A7 improvised shot

Improvised shot on location with a Sony A7, a pentax 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 2.0
The audio was captured live with a rode videomic pro.

(I don't know how to embed...I tried the same code on another website and it worked)
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony A7 improvised shot

Looks nice if a little over exposed in quite a few shots. Did you try reducing the EV? Also the sound sync is out which is distracting, I suspect this is just due to the way it's been edited rather than a camera issue. The colour grade makes it difficult to judge the cameras real performance, but the clip does hint at what's possible with these little cameras. Thanks for posting.
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Trustee

To be honest the shot was completely and totally improvised. I got there and shot it as a favor for this musician who had composed this song just some hours earlier and had only one hour to shoot the entire clip. At first I was going to go with a high key look where the guy would be properly exposed and most of the rest would be blown out, but I wasn´t liking it so I ended up changing my plans. The sound that I used was captured live directly into the camera using a videomic pro, but since the duration of the guys´s performance would range from 2 minutes up to 5min, it was really hard to sync in post.

Other than the hard conditions, it was a true pleasure shooting with the camera. It´s just a bit bigger than the Nex-7 but it´s much better ergonomically, it has much better menus, audio control, audio monitor bars, headphone output, it doesn´t overheat like the NEX7 did. I´m very happy with the camera...but I have yet to shoot with an AF lense. I´ve been using only adapter Pentax lenses.

I do have to point out that I do like 85% stills and 15% video :) For both I´m beyond happy.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #4
New Boot

It looks good!

I have a question. If you are shooting video and looking through the evf are you able to push the camera right against your eye/face in order to help stabilize it?
Tom Abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Trustee

That is sort of an odd question :) I don't think I've ever tried stabilizing the camera with my face. I guess you can try that as much as you could try it with any other DSLR.
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #6
New Boot

Ha.:)

But the A7 has an evf. On most other dslrs you need to use the screen when shooting video, so obviously you can't be pushing it right up to your eye. That's why I ask.
Tom Abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Trustee

The NEX6 and the NEX7 also have the EVF. There's also an external EVF for some of the latest generation NEX cameras.
Like I've said, I've never tried that, but I can tell you the EVF is awesome :)
Old December 25th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Trustee

Tried a different post treatment:
Old December 25th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thought the first was more ethereal, more with the feel of the music?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #10
DVi Contributor

Good job. I too like the look of the first one. I feel it goes better with the song.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Unregistered Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Thought the first was more ethereal, more with the feel of the music?
Yeah, I agree.

Nice editing, looks like the sync to the audio is very accurate. In fact, it looks like multicam shots.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR