Sony A77 question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old January 14th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony A77 question

Hi, I am new to this forum. And also more or less new to Dslr filming.
I've been playing around with my A77 and I have two questions regarding it:

1. What color profile should I use: neutral or sunset mode? I read somewhere on the net that sunset mode would show less artifacts. And what do think the best settings are for contrast, sharpness & saturation?

2. I noticed I can zoom in digitally to check focus when in photomode. I can easily switch over from videomode to verify, but I wonder if i can't just zoom in while in videomode?

Any other advice to get the most of my cam is ofcourse more than welcome..

tnx in advance!
chr
Christophe Gryspeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 03:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony A77 question

hm,
not much people seem to use the A77 for video I guess...

I think I found the answer on the profile. Best to me seems portrait (-3,-3,-3).

Haven't found the answer on my second question though.
I anyone can help, or if it simply is not possible, please let me know.
tnx!
chr
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, more than 200 reads and no one knows the answer :-)
I do, you can't zoom in to check focus while in videomode... annoying, but ok, focus peaking..

I have been comparing the A77 and 16-50 at 28mm vs my pentax k3 with an old 28mm prime.
I noticed the A77 to be soft. I wonder if this is the lens or just part of the camera.

Does anyone feel the A77 with a (wide) prime is sharper than the 16-50?
I don't have a prime for sony, so i can't verify.

It would really help me if anyone knows. I like this camera because of IS and practical use for docu shooting. But I feel it is quite soft and maybe it is just the lens. I am considering selling the camera or just the lens and replace it with a 28mm and 50mm prime. But then I need to know for sure that the image will become sharper (at the wider end) as I know video is quite sharp with a tele (that goes for all dslrs)..

tnx.
chr
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Austinite

According to a source familiar with the matter...

For question one, it is a preference question that is based upon industry standards or user preference. Ideally, most cinematographers would prefer to shoot neutral unsaturated to have more control over post processing.

For question two, unfortunately the user is unable to zoom in or magnify to check focus. Recommended alternative is to switch from video mode to still mode to set focus and then back to video mode to record. Or users have been recording video in the still mode as the camera is capable of doing recording video in any shooting mode. Also, Peaking Level would be the best solution while in video mode.

For the last post about lenses, lenses of course do effect image quality. He is comparing a zoom lens versus a prime lens. Prime lenses designs will yield sharper image quality. But many factors also need to be considered such as aperture, iso, and focal length. I would recommend to him that if he is not happy with his lens set up he should try using the lens at different apertures and or switch to primes for shooting video. He can visit his local Sony or camera store to test prime lenses as well. Telephoto lenses are great for utility but not necessarily the best for image quality. I would also recommend the 24-70mm 2.8 Zeiss lens for his A77. That is a nice focal range for documentary shooting with wide aperture and very sharp image quality for both stills and video.

His issues with the set up are global to any other ILC systems on the market. With a capable body, there needs to be support within the lenses and accessories.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for addressing my questions!

I'll indeed try to get a hold of a prime and then make the comparison with my pentax.
It would also reduce the weight a lot. And see what the effect of various apertures is.

After all, this camera has a couple of assets making it worthwhile to keep....
chr
Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Austinite

Don't forget to follow us @omegabroadcast if you use twitter and consider us when ordering product! We are a DVINFO sponsor.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR